• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power reserve gauge?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
This is more of a theoretical/curiosity question. I’m guessing the most practicable answer is to use a vacuum gauge.

Is there a way to measure how hard the engine is working? I’m guessing that to make an actual “power reserve” gauge, you’d have to put the vehicle on a dyno and measure all throttle positions for all rpms, then use that in a program of sorts. How close would a vacuum gauge or throttle position gauge be? Maybe air or fuel flow? Guessing exhaust pressure/flow would mirror the intake? It’d all be rpm dependent so I guess it’d just be a gut interpretation unless you hook sensors up to some kind of comp.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I idea how it works but most apps that talk with your truck have something similar. Dash command, torque etc.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
This is more of a theoretical/curiosity question. I’m guessing the most practicable answer is to use a vacuum gauge.

Is there a way to measure how hard the engine is working?
Yeah, it's known as a Dyno

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
obd2 systems will tell you the percent load, some of the later obd1 ford EECs will also show it. Products such as scangauge will show it but only work for obd2 applications. With a 2.3 I'd imagine that the load percentage is close to 100 percent while driving though, haha.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
obd2 systems will tell you the percent load
didn’t know that. I had Torque app with a cheapo boluetooth reader in an ‘03 Grand Marquis. Never found that option… or it didn’t show anything.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Would load really be the best way to guage how hard the motor is working? On one hand I say yes.. but on the other hand I feel like referencing RPM against a dyno sheet would be better... it's likely a mix of the two.

You could probably achieve 100% load in first gear at low rpm with a big enough trailer.

But is that really as hard on the motor itself as spinning peak HP with very little load on it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, a vacuum gauge can tell you engine load, high vacuum = low load, low vacuum = high load

Computer also does that calculation based on engine RPM(air flow), throttle position and MAF sensor data, its the Load calculation and most OBD2 apps can access that

But neither would give you a "power reserve" amount

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Yes, a vacuum gauge can tell you engine load, high vacuum = low load, low vacuum = high load

Computer also does that calculation based on engine RPM(air flow), throttle position and MAF sensor data, its the Load calculation and most OBD2 apps can access that

But neither would give you a "power reserve" amount
“Power reserve” may be the wrong term… or right. I know power is actually technical term and that may… or may not… be what I’m looking for. It’s just that if I’m on a hilly interstate, I slow way down going up hill and don’t mind bobbling between 60-70. After an hour or two I get accustomed to the gutless engine and all the rattles and bangs, and I have to be careful not to do a steady 80. Just curious as to how much effort the engine is putting forth in various conditions.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would get a vacuum gauge and run a hose into the cab

Any vacuum gauge will work, but there are gauges like these: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71-VT5ZcGFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

These have a green area when vacuum is in the range where engine is most efficient when under load

Vehicles used to come with similar YEARS ago
I remember my Grandfather had a Cadillac with a red and green light on the dash, green for best economy/MPG

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
“Power reserve” may be the wrong term… or right. I know power is actually technical term and that may… or may not… be what I’m looking for. It’s just that if I’m on a hilly interstate, I slow way down going up hill and don’t mind bobbling between 60-70. After an hour or two I get accustomed to the gutless engine and all the rattles and bangs, and I have to be careful not to do a steady 80. Just curious as to how much effort the engine is putting forth in various conditions.
You need to downshift.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The "load" calculation that the obd2 computer does is a very simple calculation. It is the amount of air actually going into the engine (as measured by the mafs and intake air temp sensor) divided by the amount of air that the engine will pump at 100% volumetric efficiency at that rpm. On normally aspirated engines, the load varies from somewhere in the 15% range at idle up to around 80% at wide open throttle. Many of the scanner devices have the ability to show you this value on a real time (or nearly real time) basis. And the load is actually pretty useful at showing you how much "reserve power" you have available at that point, since the power output of the engine is directly related to the amount of air it is ingesting. The pcm uses the load value in several important ways, such as deciding how much spark advance to provide at a given load and rpm - there is a lookup table that has "load" on one axis and "rpm" on the other axis and the table is filled with the spark advance numbers for each combination of load and rpm. (Of course, those numbers are modified by things like coolant temp, intake air temp, etc. but the load is a very important value to the pcm.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ive always had good luck getting a general idea of how hard im pulling the guts out of something by computeing throttle position, RPM, and how the motor sounds.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals