• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Issues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I am having an issue with my 2.9L B2. I thought it was the starter relay but now not sure. It has been sitting for a couple of years with jumped time. So I replaced timing gears and chain. Now with a newer battery it will not start. I turn the key on and get a lot of buzzing but then it acts like it blows a breaker and loses power. Even with a jump box on it. Took the starter off to see if it will turn but no luck there. Could the starter cause it to lose all power?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Update: With the jump box on. Turning the headlights on will make it lose power. Could this be the battery?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, when activated bad starter would cause power to cut off, but should return when you turn key back from START

Reads like you may need to Clean both battery cables at BOTH ends
Negative cable TOO

The positive battery cable connected to starter relay(solenoid) is the main power distribution point for the whole vehicle
With battery disconnected pull all the wires on that 1 post and clean them then replace them, ONLY do that 1 post
You can then clean the starter motor cable on the other large post and put it back on, there should be only 1 cable on that post

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sorry for the delay. I got the bronco to turn over but not crank. It needs the timing to be adjusted but we should be able to get it to crank.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do 50/50 test, spray fuel into the engine and try to start it
That will tell you instantly if its a spark or fuel issue

If it starts and dies, then spark is OK and spark timing is close enough, you have a fuel delivery issue
If it doesn't start then yes, spark is first thing to look at

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Its alive and running but lost clutch after a block and a half. Just stopped working all of a sudden.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bummer

Does pedal not push down, that would be caused by Quick connect fitting on slave popping off

Or does pedal go down to the floor without activating slave, fluid was lost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Back to my power issue again. It cranks and runs but is rough. And doesnt seem to have the power at all. Almost like its not firing on all cylinders. Any idea of how to check?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Back to my power issue again. It cranks and runs but is rough. And doesnt seem to have the power at all. Almost like its not firing on all cylinders. Any idea of how to check?
Its a 2.9l WITH a working clutch and transmission so of course it has no power, what would you expect....................:)

Joking

Have you tested a few cylinders for compression numbers, expected would be 150+ PSI
You said you changed timing chain so just double checking that you did a good job before jumping to other causes
Compression is a black and white thing, so once its "off the table" then the more grey area stuff can be looked at

With engine idling you can spray fuel into the intake and if it "peps" up, seems to run smoother, then you could have some clogged injectors, the 2.9l used Batch Fire injection, 3 injectors open at the same time and alternate each RPM, so a single clogged injector wouldn't cause too much of an issue, but if its 2 or 3..................
You said it sat for a year so fuel in the rail and injectors could have dried up and left a varnish behind causing clogs

Last edited:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Worried stranger:

If you are certain that the new timing set has the distributor with cylinder #1 at TDC, then let it warm up, turn it off, pull the spout, start it with a timing light and get it dialed in. Then how does it run?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals