• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power issue

randypmartin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced the alternator on my 1990 Bronco II about a year ago. The battery light on my dash has been on ever since but it never seemed to be an issue until recently. Have been experiencing low power especially when the air conditioner is on. Mechanic tested battery and alternator and both came back with good reads and the belt is nice and tight. The alternator I have is a standard 65amp. Did not check the output of the previous alternator before replacing it.

My main question is would putting a higher amp alternator in possibly help with a low power issue? Could it hurt to try? Very green when it comes to electrical issues and appreciate any feedback.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You need to invest in a $10 Volt/ohm meter

65amps is fine for 1990 BII..............unless you have added a BIG ASS sound system and some aircraft landing lights :)

Battery light shouldn't be on when engine is running

Battery volts, key off
12.3v to 12.8volts

Battery volts, engine idling
13.5v to 14.8volts

Any differences means an issue with the system

Battery light wire may have been accidentally grounded when new alternator was installed, this would make it stay on whenever key was on, even with engine running

Alternators have 3 Fields that generate electricity
Very common for a Field to fail, this would, of course, cause 1/3 "power" loss
i.e. dimming lights at idle and flickering lights
So if things were fine and then got worse its most likely new alternator starting to go

"New" alternators often have issues, so keep the receipt, they usually have a 1 or 2 year warranty, some are lifetime now

A new 95amp alternator may fix the problem but ONLY if the problem was the "old/new" alternator, not because you need 30 more amps

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Once again, Everything RonD said. Especially the bunk new alternator. Happened to me more than once

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Might be the voltage regulator. A bad one can fry a battery.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Might be the voltage regulator. A bad one can fry a battery.
Should be an integral regulator...as in changing alternator means regulator too as its part of the alternator.

I had this happen years ago on a 351w LTD II. Granted being carburated engine performance wasnt affected, but the light was on after i changed the alt.

Turns out i didnt put the little rubber cover over the wire and it was shorting out. Check the rubber cover

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If the wire that goes to the dash light was mis-wired, the alternator would not charge at all. On the dash light I suspect a faulty regulator.

On the original question, the lights dimming at idle is normal if the load is high. Step on the throttle and everything is bright again correct? The older style alternators did not have a lot of output at lower rpms. The newer 3G are supposed to be better at lower rpms.

It could simply be your throttle body is starting to clog up, lowering the idle rpms. Have you noticed it idling a little slower lately?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals