• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Potential Scammer

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Posting this here to notify site admin and warn other members, but at the same time making it public so this user has the opportunity to defend themselves if legitimate.

I posted a thread last week expressing interest in purchasing some parts for my truck. Saturday a user named @Whitebenjamin185 sent me a PM inregard to this thread.

Shawn doug has a Edge grill assy and 06-07 front bumper trying to part out with and it's in excellent condition. You can contact him through. <omitted>@gmail.com. You thank me later!
Of course everything about that meessage screams FAKE! To start with I'm sure that there is a "Shawn doug" out there somewhere, nut in thisd contact it sounds like a random name generator from some nigerian pricnce email scam. Second, What's the likely hood that the same guy is going parting a vehicle with exactly the combination of parts that I'm looking for in excellent condition. Then there's the fact that this Shawn Doug fella doesn't appear to be a forum member, but some rando out there with a gmail address. Yeah, like 90% of scams and spammers are associated with gmail address. Don't get me wrong I like using gmail myself, but that doesn;t add to the trust worthiness. All of this followed by the fact that @Whitebenjamin185 joined the forum at the end of december, has no posts to his/her name, and decided to contact me through private message rather than publically.

Smells fishy to me. Not going to follow up on that one without a LOT more information and convincing. IE this Shawn Doug fella joining the board and agreeing to meet me at a sheriff/police department a few cities away with the goods. Be careful out there folks.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And will you just look at that. Apparently Whitebenjamin185's brother @chetan decided to join the forum today and follow up on the offer.

hello are you still interested in getting this?.
you can contact Frank he has a 2005-2007 Front bumper assembly with fog lights, for sale........... PM him @ <omitted>@gmail.com
They really need to get together and figure out which cunkle is trying to sell these parts. I tell ya he must want to sell them bad, chetan wasn't even a menber of the forum for an hour before he was following up on ole Benny's offer and asking if I was still interested.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
that name sounds familiar. i was contacted with a wanted ad i placed a while back, asked for pictures of the part(s) he had and was 100% wrong. told them this, then they sent a second wrong part picture. and you are correct, not a member here. shawn doug

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
We just had another report about Chetan.

I banned him and I'm going to ban the other.

I sure hate scammers.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
All gone...

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ban a poor dude just tryin to off parts :ROFLMAO:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Super common scam over on the new truck forum.. probably every popular forum. Every time I've posted a WTB ad over there I get those types of messages from 0 post count "users" within a day or so.

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got the same type email from a guy saying "ShawnDouglas".....

5 pics of different types of shift stuff......all of it wrong. And he kept saying, send paypal "Friends and Family" only....

Nope.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I know this happens often and Jim and his crew won't tolerate the members being scammed on this site.

I guess any way you folks can bring this to our attention is good. However this isn't really the appropriate forum to do it. It's more for true site issues.

If they post in the open forum... report the post and add your comments in the report. Same applies to a DM if that's how they contact you. Just hit the report button and again add your comments. That way we get to see the information which helps with our determination of how to handle it. Also by using the "report" button... all the mods see it and can address the issue for faster results.

A dead giveaway for me on these two were they had zero posts but were both TRS event participants. So be aware of that simple to see tell tale sign while trying to buy parts here.

Last note... be careful out there. Lots of folks would rather scam you out of your hard earned money then to just earn it themselves.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I want to second on letting us know if they are only sending direct messages. The staff can’t see your DMs unless invited in. The open forum is a different story.

Chetan was reported earlier but I had nothing to look at other than his profile since they did not post anything. The only flag I saw was the Event Participant banner. The staff can sort that one out pretty easily.

The Ham Radio Operator and Firefighter banners, we have to take their word they are telling the truth.

So, if you get a suspicious message, let us know and share a copy of the message if possible.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know this happens often and Jim and his crew won't tolerate the members being scammed on this site.

I guess any way you folks can bring this to our attention is good. However this isn't really the appropriate forum to do it. It's more for true site issues.

If they post in the open forum... report the post and add your comments in the report. Same applies to a DM if that's how they contact you. Just hit the report button and again add your comments. That way we get to see the information which helps with our determination of how to handle it. Also by using the "report" button... all the mods see it and can address the issue for faster results.

A dead giveaway for me on these two were they had zero posts but were both TRS event participants. So be aware of that simple to see tell tale sign while trying to buy parts here.

Last note... be careful out there. Lots of folks would rather scam you out of your hard earned money then to just earn it themselves.
Noted. If we had a buyer/seller feedback forum, I'd have posted it there. Instead since I saw it as a forum issue I posted it here. I could have just hit the report button, but then others wouldn't have gotten the laugh and there wouldn't have been reports that there are repeat offenses towards other members.

I get the message though and next time I'll just hit the report button.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I just got contacted from a person calling themselves killoputy766 emailing me saying they know someone that may have what I was looking for on the want section. When I clicked on see conversation the ranger station webpage came up and said oops something went wrong. And it gave me the person's email address as well. Definitely something fishy there. I searched forum for that name but nothing came up.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I just got contacted from a person calling themselves killoputy766 emailing me saying they know someone that may have what I was looking for on the want section. When I clicked on see conversation the ranger station webpage came up and said oops something went wrong. And it gave me the person's email address as well. Definitely something fishy there. I searched forum for that name but nothing came up.
He is definitely fishing to do scams. He first posted and introduced himself in the introduction forum. Then started messaging members privately from the parts wanted ads in that forum.

He got reported... I banned him from TRS... and added his name and IP address to ban his IP from TRS.

We did our part to prevent anymore of this... but as always... use your better discretion when dealing with anyone that messages you on here.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Killoputy766 was a member here for exactly 1 hrs 34 minutes. I know of two members he tried to scam. They work fast and deal in volume with their attempts.

Be safe out there....

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Killoputy766 was a member here for exactly 1 hrs 34 minutes. I know of two members he tried to scam. They work fast and deal in volume with their attempts.

Be safe out there....
That was the guy posting about Chevy stuff, wasn’t it? I thought he was fishy. But I only saw him before he misbehaved.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals