• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Post your tow rigs here!!!

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I do like the sound of those. Some people complain that they are buzzy, but that's just the 4+" stroke taking care of business. If I had a gasoline truck I'd probably have that motor in a crewcab F250 like Jspafford's. I don't need a V10 to get by and I imagine the mileage would be much worse in daily driving.

Hurry Will, the ebay auction on my truck ends in 6 hours!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do like the sound of those. Some people complain that they are buzzy, but that's just the 4+" stroke taking care of business. If I had a gasoline truck I'd probably have that motor in a crewcab F250 like Jspafford's. I don't need a V10 to get by and I imagine the mileage would be much worse in daily driving.
Actually my dad is looking at an '03 SuperCrew with a 5.4. It is a nice truck but from what I gather they get about the same milage as a V-10.

Sorry Jspafford, your truck is nice but just too darn far away.:dntknw:

I wouldn't call a mod motor "buzzy" Both my brother (he has a 4.6) and I have exhausts and really they seem smoother than a pushrod engine, thats about it.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
That's not underpowered. When my dad drove a semi when I was a kid, it only had a 275hp Detroit--it was enough and he drove coast to coast. Nowadays people expect to hook up a damn house and accelerate like they had little cars.
yea i know,
Dad gave up truckin a few weeks ago, He had a 475 Cat With 2 Turbos..
That thing was sick, Before he had tthe governer on it me and dad used to do a weeks work in like 3 or 4 days:headbang::3gears:..
I was named by the other truckers "Dads Co-Pilot":yahoo:

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Mines an 01 F250 Diesel, 6 speed, 3.73 L/S. Stock besides 4" turbo back stainless exhaust, but not for long.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
nice maverick! dont see many of those anymore.
________
sc2 replays

Last edited:

mountaineergreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My "tow rig" - I can wheel it in Moab or tow this:

5.0 intake and headers, Xcal 2, 4R70W, BW4406 Transfercase from an F150 for selectable 2wd or 4wd, 33's, 4.10 gears.

I've since sold the camper, gas is too expensive for me to drag it around, especially now. I did tow my wife's car on a tandem axle car trailer with no problem the other day.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 5.7 V8/6speed auto, 10.5" Hino Rear end

Only thing I have done is the TRD Dual exhaust.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's probably the most powerful engine in a pickup. I'm sure it's awesome. I was thrown by the Hino rear thing. But since you posted it, I looked it up. It's a semi-float with axle shafts smaller than a 9.5" Chevy. I also saw a picture of the ring gear. Thin. But I'm sure with 400ft# of torque it's what is needed in an upgrade from the standard axle. And I do like those trucks. It's just not an equivalent by any means to a Sterling, Dana 70 or GM 10.5" axle. You can wear the axle bearings from any of those like jangle bracelets and there are 2 per side. On a semifloat you have an inch and half axle bearing and only one per side--and the shaft still does double duty. A real Hino HD axle with the wide 6-lug pattern would have been cool. I was disappointed.

The only thing I don't like though is the rear door handle. It's out of place. On your truck a regular door handle like the front would be much better.

maxlessca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is my tow rig:

2002 Ranger, 4.0L 2wd

I would love to have a 1/2 ton to tow, but I don't really need it. I don't see myself towing anything over 5000lbs any time soon. If I didn't need to tow anything, I'd own a metro.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's probably the most powerful engine in a pickup. I'm sure it's awesome. I was thrown by the Hino rear thing. But since you posted it, I looked it up. It's a semi-float with axle shafts smaller than a 9.5" Chevy. I also saw a picture of the ring gear. Thin. But I'm sure with 400ft# of torque it's what is needed in an upgrade from the standard axle. And I do like those trucks. It's just not an equivalent by any means to a Sterling, Dana 70 or GM 10.5" axle. You can wear the axle bearings from any of those like jangle bracelets and there are 2 per side. On a semifloat you have an inch and half axle bearing and only one per side--and the shaft still does double duty. A real Hino HD axle with the wide 6-lug pattern would have been cool. I was disappointed.

The only thing I don't like though is the rear door handle. It's out of place. On your truck a regular door handle like the front would be much better.
Remember its only a 1/2 ton truck, hence the semi float. I dont know where you got your info (there is two rear axles for the new tundra, the the BD26B is the larger axle which my truck has. there is also a 9.5" ring gear verison, the BD24B) but the BD26B has 36 spline 1.45" shafts, 10.5" ring gear, and larger rotors then a F350 (hence why all the trucks have 18's).

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I already looked up those measurements. The 9.5" semi-float GM has 1.5" shafts. It's used in heavy 1500s and light 2500s. Up to 7,200# GVWR.

Larger diameter rotors--my wife's Pilot also has larger diameter rotors. That isn't a substantial measurement. They are frisbees. The same diameter as the ones on my Chevy, but only 17#. It's a gimmick measurement. The rear brake drums on my Chevy are 49# each and the front rotors are 40# each. The pertinent issues are the friction. That means pressure and area and diameter and heat absorbtion and dissipation.

It's a gimmick that they put a 10.5" ring gear in that axle. It was calculated, and aimed at Nissan and their 8.5" D44 that sux so badly.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That means pressure and area and diameter and heat absorbtion and dissipation.
And a Larger rotor allows more braking surface area along with more heat disapation due to more surface area.......

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It doesn't allow more area. The size of the pads dictates that. The mass of the rotor has a lot to do with how much heat it can absorb without the pad losing its grip and the rotor deforming.

It's an advertising gimmick measurement.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals