• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possibly bad GEM module

Ravenmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, brand new here!
I have a 1998 Mazda B3000 that I think the GEM is going bad on from reading the different forum posts from here and elsewhere. The truck's speedometer and the windshield wipers don't work. This has been occurring intermittently pretty much since I got the truck a couple months ago and got worse/ doesn't work since my battery died on me a couple weeks ago. I pulled the GEM and reset it and it worked for one drive and then stopped again. My GEM # is F87B-14B205-EE and the truck is a 4x4, manual transmission, with manual windows and I saw on eBay that the EE is for an auto with power windows. I just pulled all of the fuses associated with the wipers and the GEM and got:
Wipers:
16: 0.75V
GEM:
10: 12.08V
20: 11.91V
25: 11.70V
26: 0.04V
28: 0.01V
Note: All of the fuses were checked with the key turned to accessories after I started the truck to verify the wipers weren't working and the wipers turned on for 16
I'm hoping that someone on this forum can confirm what I'm thinking about it being the GEM and possibly the right parts number for the GEM before I drop the money to get a GEM module

Azscort

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I am having a similar problem, how did you reset the GEM?

Ravenmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
I am having a similar problem, how did you reset the GEM?
I tried leaving the negative cable off of the battery for like 30 minutes and physically disconnecting the GEM for a couple minutes as well. Neither of these worked for me though so I ended up finding a GEM off of EBAY and that did it. If you do that make sure to match the code on what you want to buy with your current GEM.

Azscort

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That’s just it, I can’t find one that is exact. Mine says F57B-14B205-EH, I can match everything but the EH. Any idea what that specifies?

Ravenmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
That’s just it, I can’t find one that is exact. Mine says F57B-14B205-EH, I can match everything but the EH. Any idea what that specifies?
First 5 are pretty much the make, model and year.
Middle group is the part - GEM.
The last two digits are a combo of Manual/Auto transmission and manual/power windows. Mine was a manual trans with manual windows and was an EE if that helps.
Also did you check if you got a 10 amp fuse in slot #26? That would be the easiest fix that people seem to have for this problem.

Azscort

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Fuse is good, is your truck a 4x4? I head that matters with the GEM as it controls the transfer case although my transfer case is manual.

Ravenmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
Fuse is good, is your truck a 4x4? I head that matters with the GEM as it controls the transfer case although my transfer case is manual.
Yeah mine is a 4x4

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals