• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible broken timing chain.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well im not having very good luck with my truck. 1986 ranger supercab 2.9 4x4. The trucks been driving like a champ since i got my new tires. Yesterday i dorve to work just fine. Then i was about to head home and i went out and tried to start my truck and it cranked and ran for about a sec then died. I tried to restart it, it had no spark and sounded a little funny. So i checked for spark at the #1 spark plug and nothing. So then checked the coil no spark. Then i put a test light on the coil leads and i have constant power to the red and green wires. Isn't the green wire the signal wire from the distributor? Isn't it suppose to pulse not constant. so i removed the distributor cab and the rotor was not spinning. i removed the distributor and if i spin the gear the rotor turns. I can not hold both and spin one. The gears do not appear to be striped or broken. The only thing left i think is a loose or a broken timing chain right? :bawling:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If no metal shaving in your oil (cam gear), I would suspect so. That or cam snapped, or cam bolt. I always suspect cam bearing failure if cam is snapped, seizes when it's in motion and it just snaps. I could see green being good connection wise, the coil is on, but it sparks once the connection is broken. Only way to know for sure is to pull #1 valve cover and watch the valves.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I confirmed the cam dose not turn when the motor is cranked. well at least the gear on the cam that drives the dizzy.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im thinking about just pulling the motor and replacing the rear main while i fix the problem with the cam not spinning.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you pull the engine pull the oil pan and put a new oil pump in if the engine is in good shape while you have it out. It would be a good time to pull the intake manifold also and reseal the upper end also.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I rebuilt the motor about 8 months ago. i put a new oil pump new timing chain gears valves pistons rings bearings in it when i rebuilt it. but ill take a look at it.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im thinking about just pulling the motor and replacing the rear main while i fix the problem with the cam not spinning.
I would definitely do it that way if you have the resources, no a/c, and the engine was put in just 8 months ago. Should be a piece of cake to take back out compared to one that's been in there for 20 years.. :) Sucks to hear though man, hope you had a good Thanksgiving none the less.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i don't have a/c. I need to put it back in though it gets hot here. I have all the tools. Thanksgiving was good. We have another dinner tomorrow night. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving also

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok nothing is broken. but the cam gear bolt came out and it is not in my motor anywhere???????? i have a magic bolt. its not broken i can see the treads in the hole and they look good. any know what size, grade, and thread the bolt is.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe you can find one at the bone yard someone pulled the timing cover off or look in the drawer of spare parts they always give you when you tear a motor down. I dont imagine there is enough room for it to spin out with the timing cover on how deep in the cam does the hole go. If the bolt broke off get a reverse drill bit and first drill a pilot hole in the center of the broke bolt then take the reverse bit and just spin it out. Then you can match the thread size and depth with a thick washer and grade 8 bolt and torque to spec. You want the bolt thread depth at least 1 1/2 times the width of the bolt shank. 19-28 ft lbs according to my book.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Looking closer at my book the cam sprocket bolt has a real wide head and a torx type socket without a washer.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The blot is not broke off. The bolt is missing..... ???? For one how is that even possible? Two did the motor eat it i do not see it. :dntknw: The motor spins nicely. I do not have the bolt or any part of the bolt... I've been looking online for anything that will tell me the pitch and size of the bolt but can find nothing. :icon_confused:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It is a special bolt with a wide thin head and a large torx insert is the alignment pin still there it is obvious the bolt was not put on when the engine was assembled. Your not gonna find it at any hardware store your best bet is the bone yard or maybe someone here has one they forgot to put in their engine.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont know the cam gear wont even stay on with out the bolt it and the truck ran for about 7 months.....

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
dont know the cam gear wont even stay on with out the bolt it and the truck ran for about 7 months.....
Strange - there's no where for it to go, no way it could have disappeared from inside the engine.. :icon_confused: Even working itself out, seems like it'd hit the timing cover before it would be able to work itself out. The bolt is going to be tough to find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals