• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

possible 351 swap

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
normally wouldn't post questions like this and research it instead, but time is short. all my research was for a 302 swap and i was dead set on it. then my wifes co-worker said she had a lightly wrecked bronco (all body damage, engine still runs) that she doesn't want in the yard anymore ($300 for the whole thing!).

1990 full size eddie b with a 351w (rebuilt, 10k on it), unknown trans. i'll be checking out the bronco this weekend. sounds like a perfect donor rig for a swap i've done zero research on!

read the crap out of the tech library today and i know the 351w is a lot like the 302 swap, minus the dual sump pan, and header issues. also know i have to do a body lift to clear the tranny.

my rig, 89 bronco 2, 3in duff lift, 31 spline 8.8, 2.9l, a4ld.

any info or advice would be appraciated. will be purchasing this sunday if everything checks out.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
You still want a dual sump oil pan. It is slightly different than the 302 version.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
It isn't much more difficult than a 302 other than headers. If you want to use factory manifolds you can save some greif because there are some that do work well. I want to say early bronco (66-77) fit good, I don't remember what I used at one point because I just kept trying manifolds til I got ones that fit. A 4x4 with headers you will hate life they are tough and will be custom. That bronco will have an E4OD, it's huge. I've never used one in a RBV swap but I'm not saying it can't be done. If you are planning to carb the engine you will have to source out a different transmission being both are computer controlled. The t-case is on the big side too you will want to look around for an NP 205 or NP208 for better fitment. A dual sump pan is a good idea. Its a good bit of work but a good project too.

Matt

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the info guys. checked out the bronco, engine was more damaged than they had originally thought. dont have the money to rebuild it right now, so swap is a no go for now :( was gettin excited about having a 351 too.

projectnitemare, wont the headers from total performance, part #9300201, work for fitment without having to go custom? and yes, that e4od was huge! don't know if i would want to use that under the b2.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Not sure how those headers fit on a 4 wheel drive, I've never used them. Reguardless they would be easier to work with than what I was using which are full legnth long tube headers. Patience is key with the bigger engine because some of it can take time to modify.

Matt

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Patience is key with the bigger engine because some of it can take time to modify.

Matt
It is key with anything when you are redesigning a new wheel, especially for the first time. If you don't have patience you need to find another hobby. :icon_thumby:

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
agreed! thanks for the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals