• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Porting head. Any good tips?

RangerGord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
New to this. Just started on the exhaust side. I'm a little sketched out by opening the intake ports up more and getting into the chambers, but I may try it after I get more comfortable.

Look at the fat booger in here!

I will try to mimic this on all cylinders before I do any more or polish

Should i be working the valve guide bosses down and/or reshaping anything? I really went to town on the intake manifolds but I'm kind of intimidated by the cylinder heads.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
PetroleumJunkie told me about a guy who gives pointers on that in a book. I think the author mostly talks about 2.9l's but has info about other engines also, like the 3.0. Can't remember the name offhand. Might be Morana. But I'm not sure.

You can do a little bit with the valve guide protrusions. Seems there is a place somewhere that you have to be careful of thin walls.

RangerGord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks that's good info. That name sounds really familiar, petroleumjunkie. I know this has been discussed before in various places and i'm still trying to search and research on my own as well.

I checked out Moranas 3.0 page again and some of it is new to me, but the picture of his stage 3 head is a bit extreme! After digging some I'm finding a few more completed builds with pictures of head work here that seem like a happy medium.

I figure it's worth an ask anyways, especially if I'm about to hit a thin spot. Can't find much of a thorough conversation on 3.0l heads, just ancient posts or build threads here and there.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Thanks that's good info. That name sounds really familiar, petroleumjunkie. I know this has been discussed before in various places and i'm still trying to search and research on my own as well.

I checked out Moranas 3.0 page again and some of it is new to me, but the picture of his stage 3 head is a bit extreme! After digging some I'm finding a few more completed builds with pictures of head work here that seem like a happy medium.

I figure it's worth an ask anyways, especially if I'm about to hit a thin spot. Can't find much of a thorough conversation on 3.0l heads, just ancient posts or build threads here and there.
There isn't much out there about the 3.0. I have one torn down that I want to build up and supercharge. But the project is going slow due to "life" getting in the way.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Yes, Petroleumjunkie is the man. He helped me when I did my heads. I didn't get into the exhaust area though.
One tip: buy a sh1t-ton of grindy stuff. :D

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Where's he gone off to anyways? Seems like it's been longer than his usual hiatus.. feels wierd in here without someone constantly telling you to "give yer balls a tug" lol

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Page 59 of this book has some info you could read up on. scroll down this page till you see my post on a book. down load it and have fun

cheers

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Page 59 of this book has some info you could read up on. scroll down this page till you see my post on a book. down load it and have fun

cheers

That's it. That's the book I was trying to remember. Sven Pruet is who PetroleumJunkie would mention.

RangerGord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the link, just what I needed! I know I've seen this book before too and had forgotten about it, it's full of handy info.

I'll do some reading and pick up some more grindy stuff in a few days. Just as soon as I can leave the watchtower. Instructions unclear, but may possibly give my balls a tug as well:dunno:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
You can lust after my Flex-Fuel high(er) compression heads... but you can't have them... :geek: ... seems the motorheads seek them out. I "heard" more were sold in certain parts of the country (Midwest corn-belt?), but I don't have a map.

OTOH, were ANY 3.0s in 1998-2000 era NOT Flex?... I bought mine model-year-end (late Oct. 1999), in Las Vegas, all 4 remaining manual trans 4WD Rangers had the green-leaf, so...?? :unsure:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
There were definitely both Flex and non Flex engines available in that era, but I don't know percentages of each.

no class

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 99 non-Flex 3.0

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You could just stick a leaf on a non flex fuel and shove corn down its throat. :dunno:

RangerGord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a FFV but corn goes to cows and we gotta keep the trash cans full of fast food cheeseburgers or else the homeless in king county will starve, or worse, have to work to buy food. I used to go get a few cans of ethanol free and fill up with e85 at this place called airport depot and now I have to drive 3 hours..

Random pic. This is my original upper manifold. My other one is installed and i worked the runners and TB some, but I never noticed any tiny difference like when porting the lower. I just windowed this to see what it looks like inside, get my own measurements, etc.. then hit it with 80 grit rolls and forgot about it when I got heads.

I know its all for nothing but it's good fun and I get a feel for porting before mangling my heads. I need to keep up on my welding as well.

You could just stick a leaf
Say no more. Stick a leaf on a small dent. Stick a leaf on a rock chip. Maybe a pinstripe of e85 leaves down the body.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I did mine, TB, Intake, Heads, and manifolds. I lost some bottom grunt by doing so, the lower intake specifically. BUT, in will now peg the rpm gage till it hits the rev limiter @ 5400 and again the speed limiter @ 92 mph. I had to pull the heads due to broken exh bolts. Only reason I did it. I have plans to go to a Eco 2.3 so I just did this for the fun. Before doing all that it was a dog. I am pleased with the results.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals