• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Portable jump starters

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You'd need a fairly substantial hard wired inverter and at that point you're spending more than the compressor just to power it. No way an inexpensive cigarette lighter powered inverter would do trick. A good pancake compressor pulls about 400 watts at 110v meaning the inverter would need to be rated above that and would be using like 35-40 amps from the 12v battery if my terrible math is right...
Close enough. Would probably be higher due to losses in the equipment. And all that would take up a lot more storage space, also.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Lowes stores are installing free air pumps in my area.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Just go to a used car lot and steal the pump from a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man. Or call Al Harrington, you can buy one from him and pick up some crudely painted not so funny plywood cutout folk art while your there. Stay clear of his intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacled advertising droids though, they are total garbage.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I don't know how you guys survive without an air compressor.
I used to buy our jumper boxes from Napa and if they dies I'd open them up and get a replacement battery from Napa for a fraction of the cost of a new box. Very few died, usually the salesmen would leave them outside after jumping a car when they were clearing a snow storm and they'd disappear. I'd often have to buy 4 or 5 of them in a winter so the dealer had us sign them out. Salesmen aren't any better at signing the sheet than they are at returning things they borrow. One of my advisors started creating repair orders for a used car and billing the replacement jump box to the car instead of writing it off as shop supplies.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Close enough. Would probably be higher due to losses in the equipment. And all that would take up a lot more storage space, also.
What's funny in my line of work I throw away loads of those cheap ass 1000watt inverters that hard wire all the time. I have 2 on my work bench now to test. Been wanting about a 2000 watt to build me a little camping pack in a rubbermaid tub or something I can throw in the bed and do some overnight wheeling trips. AKA overlanding. Already have the 12v charger and batteries that I've collected.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You'd need a fairly substantial hard wired inverter and at that point you're spending more than the compressor just to power it. No way an inexpensive cigarette lighter powered inverter would do trick. A good pancake compressor pulls about 400 watts at 110v meaning the inverter would need to be rated above that and would be using like 35-40 amps from the 12v battery if my terrible math is right...
Not to mention the power spike when the compressor first starts running. That's why a lot of generators have a surge rating as well as a constant power rating.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Not to mention the power spike when the compressor first starts running. That's why a lot of generators have a surge rating as well as a constant power rating.
Any motor load will have a large spike at start up. You can limit it with a starting capacitor in line before compressor. I use a 3000w on some of our sprinter van conversions and run a 13500 btu roof top ac on it. I have to add a starting capacitor in line to avoid ac overload when it starts. Saves inverter and batteries. but we are getting real expensive now

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
Dang... I haven't seen FREE AIR anywhere around here. Most of the air machines now will accept credit cards.
Around here, all the Sheetz stations seem to have free air. Doesn't seem like much of anyone else does though.
We have Wawa that has free air but the unit doesn't deliver enough PSI.

My tires call for 70. The machine at the Marathon that takes coins and credit cards gets the job done though.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
We have Wawa that has free air but the unit doesn't deliver enough PSI.

My tires call for 70. The machine at the Marathon that takes coins and credit cards gets the job done though.
Just fill them with 35psi twice.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Finally got to test the jump starter. If you jump a normal car with a low battery you just connect it and start the car. I used it on a 76 vette with NO battery. When you do this or the battery is totally dead you have to hit the "boost" button first which aparently gives you 30 seconds of full bore power. It spun the engine over just as fast (maybe faster) than using a normal battery and it started with ease. (Chevy 350). So definitely works great.

My only complaint is that it has a 12volt 10amp power outlet with a cigarette lighter outlet adapter for charging random car things or running something like a portable tire pump. I tried to use it to charge my new dash cam but it automatically turns off after a couple minutes making the 12 volt port useless unless you sit there hitting the power button every 2 minutes. Kinda dumb design.

The USB outlets for charging your cell phone or whatever don't do this, they are constantly live. So at least it's useful as a phone charger. And the outlets are "fast charge" or whatever you call it so they charge my phone as fast as my wall charger. Other usb power packs I've used put the phone in "slow charge" which takes forever.

Only time will tell how well it holds up. The owners manual says it's lifespan is around 4 years which is expected since batteries don't last forever. If I get 4 years out of it I feel I got more than my money's worth for something that ended up costing $70 bucks.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey, you know how to solder. Open that puppy up and hot wire the adapter. 🙂

-Jazzer

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I got the one from autozone... cost like $130... can start the V8 in my JGC 3 times before recharging

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I got the Makita air compressor because I already have the batteries for it. The Milwaukee ones are kinda better (my buddies have em), and I have batteries for those, might get one.

The jump starter battery packs found at Autozone are actually good ones. its the parts behind the counter that are junk.

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a Noco Genius. Not sure if it is the best but it is well-made.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals