• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pops 1988 Ranger XLT 2.9 4x4

grassycreekgirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi..my name is Laura and i just bought my dads old truck from my mom...My dad passed away 3 years ago and suffered from dementia and forgot how to drive the last couple of years so the truck has been sitting all this time without even being cranked...My dad was a mechanic and kept his vehicles in the best running condition possible...I was surprised when it fired right up with just a new battery and some gas...Ive changed the plugs and wires because it does have a miss..so bad that even gearing all the way down wont make it climb some of the hills here in east Tennessee...i did notice that the miss smoothed up a bit when i let off the gas...it tried to run but just smothered out when trying to accelerate...so thanks for allowing me to join and you will probably see me in the forums with a hundred questions in the future as i try to get Pops truck back on the road again...Thanks

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
We need to stop messing with the framework that the founding fathers created.
Welcome to TRS!
The folks here are so smart and patient. I’m sure you’ll get it running great again with everyone’s help.
P.s your dad had great taste in trucks! 😉

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Its still missing when you take your foot off the gas you just don't feel it as much

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
Might just need a little clean fuel and a little carbon cleaned out. All these guys in here help each other if they know the answer to the issue. Details, numbers and pics!! I would say if you search the forum for known issues you will find a thread on it... Dirty

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS!

These trucks are definitely easy to fall in love with but they can be persnickety at times. Good luck with getting it squared away.

When you did the plugs and wires did you replace the cap and rotor at all? Sometimes they can carbon up, try to get ones with brass terminals, they last longer than aluminum.

grassycreekgirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Almost a year later😳and I have replaced the dist and rotor..twice..mechanic cracked the first one for me..all 6 fuel injectors..both tank and rail fuel pumps and filters..starter..twice..wiring harness..battery cables and ends..water pump..air filter..of course oil and filter and just today it was returned to me after spending 8 weeks in a garage ..I highly don't recommend...to replace the flywheel instead of just the ring gear thingy it needed..i only gave my mom $500 for the.truck..hadn't been driven in over 5 years..first mechanic charged me$600and I bought all the parts..second mechanic I gave a 1995 ranger without a title but ran....4cyl auto 4x4..in trade..he did additional work..water pump.. a couple months later which cost me $275..i thought he was doing good work until I took it to him for the new flywheel and another starter..After 8 weeks of runaround and every other day promises of being fixed followed by excuses and unanswered calls he returns it to me on a trailer instead of letting me pick it up..this bill $470 and all I needed was a$30ring gear..at least that was the quote but I got flywheel clutch and slave cylinder brake fluid alternator belt oil and filter..in this past 10 months I have driven it a total of 5 times and travelled 43 miles..so not exactly back on the road but desperately trying...😎anybody looking to buy an 88 super cab 2.9 5spd 4x4???

grassycreekgirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I almost forgot..new coil and intake as well
And I thought I would just wash it and drive it😰

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals