• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Popping out of 5th gear

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
160k miles on a 1991 Ranger 3.0L with the Mazda M50D transmission I believe - pops out of 5th gear on the highway.... asked around and the most common answer I've gotten is something to do with sycronizers? (I'm sorta transmission stoopid here). One reputable shop said that 95% of the time, the upper plate can be replaced to solve that? around $150 for the part.... I'm figuring pulling the transmission eventually and doing myself if someone says this is a viable option and not hard to do.... or give to shop and spend around $500 if that IS the problem but looking at costing alot more if not they say.... grrrr... currently using a ball joint separator shoved between stick shift and seat to keep the booger from popping out.... ideas???

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Synchros help the gear engage. They don't hold it in gear. My first guess would be worn bearing(s) or shift fork. Any chance you've messed around with the carpet or boot, or something else that could prevent it from fully engaging?

EDIT: Read this: http://www.wcengineering.com/articles/popout.html

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Last edited:

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's what I'm hearing about synchros and I don't have any problem getting into any gear. 5th goes in gear fine. The problem comes when applying gas... The bearing issue seems a possibility as in the link you provided. Funny thing was the guy/shop that talked about this "upper plate" being a fairly simple repair asked if it was only popping out when applying gas and said 95% it's due to this upper plate.... sticks in gear fine if just rolling or decelerating.... or even if just slight acceleration.... push down hard on accelerator and a couple seconds later "POP!!!".... wondering if anyone can confirm that? haven't read anything in these forums about it... was moving towards the bearing idea... if it's costly, I probably will just leave things be and use the ball separator fork.... or stick with more costly gas charge running in 4th :(

while it's probably not the best idea, I do use 5th gear most of the time on the highway... this 3.0 is a dawg and acceleration absolutely sux on the highway with the slightest of hills... even 4th isn't that great... my guess is, using 5th all the time since getting the truck at 27k miles almost 20yrs. ago has worn something? plus maybe another bad thing I've done is popping the gear out occasionally being lazy without the clutch when getting off the hwy... well, now it pops out just fine... all the time! lol

and no, carpet or boot not keeping it from engaging... it goes in just like normal... just pops because of something worn it seems.... I think I had an issue like this once in a toyota pickup and I was able to take the top plate off of the transmission and replace a little plastic ball for minimal charge that was worn out.... was causing alot of sloppiness with the stick shift as well that cleared up after that fix.... this Ford seems to be real sloppy in 5th too and really hoping it's a simple fix...

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Last edited:

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Shane, I'll check into that.... I'm guessing that probably has no issue with the initial problem though... guess I'll try to figure out what this upper plate is that this shop said might be the problem and go from there... if it's a bearing I'm guessing I'll be forking out more money than the truck is worth... :-(

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I know I could get a trans for around 50 bucks at Pick-n-Pull. Keep that in mind.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Also.... I am not sure what replacing the "top plate" means. I am guessing he thinks he can access the problem by taking the cover off. You may want to make sure your fluid level is good as well. These thing have a knack for losing the rubber plugs up by the shifter housing, and leaking all of the fluid out.

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hard to believe $50 but have yet to shop it.... fluid is full. first thing I checked... was a little low... filled er up... crossed fingers but nope, still POPPED out... not sure what he was talking about... I have looked at what appears to be the "upper plate" in a schematic and is labeled as the cover you are talking about and yeah, I kinda don't see how that could be the culprit... guess I'll shop transmissions soon... thanks!

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Post your location and i'll give you a price on a 3.0 2wd M5OD shipped to your door. I have one ready to roll and didn't even throw it on ebay yet.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
hard to believe $50 but have yet to shop it....
My buddy owns a trans shop and pulls them for $49.50 all the time on Wednesday's (50% day).

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well... cool beans... hope I can find a cheap one then... I appreciate your help! Thank you :rockon:

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
welp, a short time spent looking and salvage yards around here are pretty quick to say 5sp transmission for my truck are hard to find... and from one "yards" computer data base of area yards, the closest one is MILES away and NOT selling for any $50... lol

???

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
is it possible that these yards are looking specifically for a 1991 like mine when I give them my information? Will any year M50D 5sp for a 3.0L 2wd work????

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I actually have one that I could sell you but you're in Cincinnati and i'm in Northeast PA. I do ship though. It would cost you $463 to have one on your doorstep with a 90 day guarantee. I take payments over the phone via merchant account. If you wanted to save a little I could drop it to $450 if paid with a USPS money order. I don't know what the yard that's miles away wants but if i'm cheaper than their cost plus fuel and you're interested then just send me a PM and i'll get back to you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals