• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Popping out of 5th gear

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the offer... looks like ebay has one for $550 and it's remanufactured... even $450 seems a steep price for a transmission for a vehicle that probably isn't worth $1500... I'm gonna check out how much my gas mpg suffers in 4th on the hwy before I start thinking about spending any kind of money like that... I use it alot on the hwy lately so a slight variation won't be too bad but if I go from 18-20mpg to 10-15mpg it might start adding up and make it worth a $500 swap... I appreciate you writing back and will keep it in mind....

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
is it possible that these yards are looking specifically for a 1991 like mine when I give them my information? Will any year M50D 5sp for a 3.0L 2wd work????
Any decent yard should know what to cross reference it to. I've found the that yards where you pull the parts usually don't know what's left on the vehicle - and sometimes don't know anything but the year/make/model.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I would seriously like to know who sells a 3.0 2wd M5OD that's remanufactured for 550 shipped. I've remanned them and sold them for 700 shipped and actually lost money in my time invested. As it is a used one that I sell gets put through atleast 4 hours worth of time in tearing it apart and putting it back together. Then there's the time involved in crating it to ship plus the cost of shipping. So if this guy's selling a reman for 550 shipped then before shipping and handling you're looking at a 400 dollar reman. Assuming he's paying "bulk order" cost for his parts and scrap price for his salvageable cores he's probably only making about 50 to 100 dollars for the time invested in building the transmission. That would be a good deal on your part if you bought one from him. Like you said though it's a 1500 dollar truck so it might be worth just waiting to see what happens with the transmission as long as you don't make long trips with it. It's just too bad that you're not closer because I could have probably worked something out with just repairing your transmission for you right in front of you for a way cheaper cost.

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well, being that it's 5th gear, does that make it easier to get to and replace the bearing that possibly is worn? I can take the tranny out in the winter when not as busy with it... and wouldn't mind doing it myself if possible.... can a shade tree mechanic do it with a little help from the choir here? I asked a local tranny shop and they were talking probably at least $1000 to work on it (even after I bring it to them off vehicle) and said even if I were to attempt myself I wouldn't have the tools I need.... ????

driving in 4th so far hasn't seemed a huge drain on the gas... still getting around the same mileage and it certainly is nicer to have cruise control stick to the speed I set! lol and not having to drop a gear to get up a minor hill on the hwy... lol so far, may just leave it be....

oh, and checking back with one junk yard they said their data said 91-94 3.0L 2wd transmissions

Last edited:

tx3nc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
well, being that it's 5th gear, does that make it easier to get to and replace the bearing that possibly is worn? I can take the tranny out in the winter when not as busy with it... and wouldn't mind doing it myself if possible.... can a shade tree mechanic do it with a little help from the choir here? I asked a local tranny shop and they were talking probably at least $1000 to work on it (even after I bring it to them off vehicle) and said even if I were to attempt myself I wouldn't have the tools I need.... ????

driving in 4th so far hasn't seemed a huge drain on the gas... still getting around the same mileage and it certainly is nicer to have cruise control stick to the speed I set! lol and not having to drop a gear to get up a minor hill on the hwy... lol so far, may just leave it be....

oh, and checking back with one junk yard they said their data said 91-94 3.0L 2wd transmissions
A few special tools make the job easier, but I think some people here have figured out workarounds. A shop press comes in really handy working on these. Harbor freight sells a workable one for about $200. You can also look on ebay for the specialty tool kits. That's the way I went, but I found most of the tools in the kit were not needed.

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I see fleabay has a transmission tool kit for the ranger/mazda transmission... but I'm kinda looking for someone that has some experience with what actually will need to be done to get this 5th gear back in working order... ??? I do have a press... well sorta.... a 26ton log splitter ;-) If most of the tools in a tool kit aren't needed, what workaround am I looking for? I'm thinking without looking at the transmission, do I just pop off a cover and reinstall a bad/worn bearing and how complicated is it? with tools or "workaround"...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals