• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Poor Idle HELP!

steelhorse9859

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Then what sensor tells the computer what the engine temp is? I'm not sure what a Gen 1 RVBs is? My cruise control is through vacuum lines and possibly electronic buttons in the steering and my 4x4 is manual.

Yes you are right however if it just sitting there idling it should go up some since there would be no air forced between the fins to cool other than the manual fan that's on the drive line.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

steelhorse9859

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
The temperature sensor for the dash gauge is just wired straight to the dashboard. There's a completely separate sensor that the computer uses to read engine temp. FYI, there's only a couple possible auxiliary modules in the Gen 1 RBVs, such as electronic 4WD, or cruise control. Almost everything is direct-wired or goes to the main computer.

If your thermostat is stuck open, then the radiator will always be in the loop cooling the engine, and the engine will never get up to operating temperature. In that case the sensor would be working correctly, indicating that there's a problem.
Well it turns out that the temperature sensor was just fine, but the thermostat was stuck open. I have never had a new thermostat fail so fast when there wasn't any problems with overheating.

From what I can tell it is running a lot better than what it was previously. I am now in a position where when the engine is cold and you rev the engine up and let the idle drop it will want to die. One time it did and all the other times it fell down and started to sputter and then shot right back up.

I have not changed the fuel filter yet as I see that as a task for another day and I may just chalk the running issues up to it being a 29 year old truck. Once it gets up to operating temperature it does not want to die out and the idle is a steady 850 rpms now or at least around there give or take. :icon_hornsup:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A "Gen 1 RBV" is a "1st Generation Ranger-Based-Vehicle" which includes your B2.

I believe the computer reads the Engine Coolant Temperature sender, but there's no reason to suspect that it's not working right now.

And you're probably right that the temp would have to come up some at idle, before the fan engages hard and really starts cooling the engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals