• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Poor Acceleration Fixed - Bucking, jerking, etc… Fuel Pump!

spaceranger

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."
BLUF: In-tank low pressure fuel pump/ sending unit caused no acceleration beyond light touch on the gas.

Figured I’d post here because I’ve seen a few threads with no final updates of 2.9l owners having identical issues, but disappearing without a final update (perhaps after having fixed… or dumping the truck onto the next lucky soul)

1986 Ford Ranger 2.9l v6 4x4 extended cab
Bogging down, bucking, jerking, etc… whenever more than a light touch on the throttle was applied. Could easily get up to highway speeds and cruise, but any need for acceleration and a sudden acceleration dump, with possible bucking to accompany it.

Many solutions in those threads centered around bad throttle position sensor (TPS) exhaust gas recirculation (EGR valve) vacuum leaks, and fuel filter issues, but in many of those threads the issue persisted and OBD 1 codes are no fun to troubleshoot (though code scan away I lovingly did)

Long story short, there were some specific symptoms that made me guess this issue fell in the fuel bucket of the holy trifecta (air, spark, gasoline)

-better performance with completely full tank
-fuel gauge not accurately reading (in tank fuel pump bundled with gauge sending unit)
-No engine knocking/ poor sounds when lightly demanding fuel even at high speeds, when lightly applying gas I.e low intensity fuel flow

Swapped out corroded gas tank ($90) Low pressure in tank fuel pump/ sending unit assembly ($50) and fuel filter ($20 but done initially just to rule out filter as root cause)
Bed was easy to pull (only 6 bolts + rear lights), and easy to lift with only two people.
Tank easily accessible and easy to remove and replace. Pretty much plug and play. Truck back to full acceleration and functioning.

Wrote out the acronyms so hopefully the next google searcher can easily find this thread using key terms. Pictures attached.

Now just to find a new hood for this ranger. Gnarled with rust, but the interior is pretty mint, everything stock, and the frame is practically untouched by rust. Give me a shout if anyone knows a good hood up here in the northeast. Will trade for a camper topper :) Hard to find junkyard parts rangers these days.

Attachments

spaceranger

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for posting your fix!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals