• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

plugged radiator?

lufordcas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
hi i hav a 1984 ford ranger 2.8 v6 4x4, the temp goes to about 210 degrees for normal opperating temp and when i climb hils it goes to 220 but not above that. so after it got up to 210 i shut it off and opened the hood felt the radiator and one side was hot(side with upper hose) other side was stone cold(lower hose side) doesnt this mean the radiator is plugged or something else? thanks

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
Does the temperature go up fast or does it go up fairly slow? Slow could be a flow problem and fast could be a gauge. Does it dump out the overflow?

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thermostat not opening could be one cause. I would start there.

lufordcas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
temp rises fairly slow, guage is new, and even when it reads 210 degrees i can take the cap off and put my finger in the coolant it is cool, however the top rad hose is hot and just the top left of the radiator(looking at it from the front of the truck) is hot the rest is cold. ill try a thermostat

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, sounds like a bad t-stat. Heat transfers through it, but not as fast as if water was flowing.

Mike Tonon

I had a problem like this with my 87 Ranger 2.9l. It would go up relatively high, slowly though. I would hold the rpm up to maybe 2000-3000 (no tach) and it would drop back down. I changed the thermostat 2 times and flushed the system once (very thoroughly) nothing seemed to fix it. Being as old as it was, it probably had a blockage somewhere. Not to mention that my dad was the original owner and I don't think he ever changed the coolant. It looked like muddy puddle water when I first changed it.

I would flush it good and change the t-stat. I don't know what you have for a radiator, but I changed mine and the new one was twice as thick and only cost me about $115 including shipping from an online supplier. But I had the 2.9l, I'm just assuming its basically like the 2.8l.

lufordcas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
iv flushed the system several time and it always comes out muddy brown from the radiator.

lufordcas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
wondering which is better 2 or 3 core radiator(dont understand whats the difference)

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
A 3 row cools better. Especially when pulling hard or any type of load.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals