• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PLEASE READ Some questions 2007 ranger 4.0 work your minds thanks!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
2007 ranger sport 4.0 4X4 4.10's

Picked up some new 265/75/16 bfg A/T ko's needin some more power

1} Will a hi perf mass air flow sensor make a big hp increase ? 10+ is what the web states ??
2} Will a flowmaster 50 suv muffler sound good with just stock pipes @ hp gains ?. I Dont want it seting off car alarms in the parkade or rattili'n my eyes at 100kmh lol.
3} Cold air intake any good ?
4} when exiting your ranger has anyone got static charge zaped when touching the door ??? feels like a coil wire DAM hapens most ot the time ..... the dealer sait static charge from my seats... walmart seat covers lol.

5} I have only 17000km on my new truck but think I got one built on a monday!
I have cold piston slap "ONLY UNDER LOAD " 2600-2850 rpm for about 10 min till the motor is up to full temp if i parl it for a hr it will be just as bad. Bitched at the Fhord dealer, went for a test drive and he said oh that just sounds like a "LOOSE HEAT SHEILD" when he said that I almost lost it and he almost had loose teeth. I was like dude wtf are you fkin around with a cover up he said I beter talk to the head mech well he "head mech" agknolaged that it was piston slap BUT he said it was normal and cant do nutti'n about it. IS this aceptable or should i call ford H.Q> and try to deal with them hell I just spent $27000 out the door??? Oh it gets better ...... I'm driving through safeway pkn lot and hear this nasty sound from the front end hmmm at the oil change they had to replace the tie rods .5000km and no i dident smoke a curb or go 4x4ing grrrrrrrrrrrr. Then they set my stearing wheel off to the right ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sorry sir we dont have lonercars but we can get you a discount at budget ...... ahhhhhhhhhh ......got that off my chest but I still Love my ranger and want to pep it up to 250hp'ish would be nice. leme hear your guys / gals thoughts thanks.:stop::pissedoff:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You want more power?

Fix the engine. Placing performance parts on a broken engine is exactly equivalent to using several hundred dollar bills as kindling.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You want more power?

Fix the engine. Placing performance parts on a broken engine is exactly equivalent to using several hundred dollar bills as kindling.
ok so in a few less words than you said .... your opinion is that the ford mech is wrong and there should be no cold piston slap at all... Is that correct.:3gears:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
just my 2 cents,demand engine repair under warranty,period.don't take no for an answer.don't waste your money on performance gizmos that don't work.

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
I have 345K on my Ranger , documented , and guess what ....
No piston slap .

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the input i think I'll rase some stink again when I go in for service < But the dam hed mech said its normal for the new motors. IE pistons are fine and if it stops when the motor is compleatley hot than they cant realy do nothing.
It really pisses me of I am haveing to jump through hoops to get new corect sized pistons for my NEW truck grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I feel like running some acataline through the intake ports and blowing the hell out the motor and saying "a DUN KNOW wha happpend lol. maby then the'll put a new fresh v6 it there.
Not just that but If and when they decide to do something It'll be back to budget 39.99 day for who knows how long. GRRR Cheby is lookin kina nice right now lol.
Back to the oridginal poste what are cheap efective mods/upgrades to squeek out more power "WHEN THE MOTOR IS FIXED ??" Thanks for all your time. Camclark ford "ford owner".

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, piston slap can be due to design errors or flaws in manufacturing, but the usual reason is overheating the engine.

Make sure this isn't the reason before going after Ford. It will be incredibly obvious once the engine is opened up if that's the reason for the piston slap.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input but the piston slap is only when the engin is somewhat cold "driven for 10 mins" and only occurs when going up hill or if I load up the motor with the brake and hit around 2700 rpm"rattle rattle rattle...... When the motor is up to normal temp it still sounds like 1 cylinder is running rough I can feel it its not 100 % in my opinion.:icon_welder: acataline + 4.0l = 500hp for 3 sec lol.:clapping:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Waitaminit....

"Rattling?" That's not piston slap. Piston slap is a regular tap at crankshaft speed.

This sounds more like detonation. Or it MIGHT be a loose heat shield. Take it to another dealer, and insist it get fixed. If the heat shield is broken, that can be fixed as well. If it's detonation, you have an incorrect mixture, which can inhibit your engine's performance.

If it only occurs during warm-up, I'd suspect a vacuum leak might be causing the incorrect mixture. Sometimes they move around during warm up.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It's piston slap it was conformed by the head mech and he said not to worry about it as it is normal due to expantion of the pistons. I will be going somewhere else to see to see if can be addresed. Trust me dude it's not a heat sheild. I think in the end after it stops when warm/hot im still lacking power. Just wish the ford dealer would step up to the plate and fix the truck already.
Back to performance ..... Has Anybody used the bolt on upgrades ie cold air intake , hi flow map sensor, chip programer. I'd like to here about the performance gains you've made. Thanks again:nopityA:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You are getting ahead of yourself.

FIX your engine before you ever utter the words "modify" or "upgrade" again. I'm not kidding; you'll just make an unrepairable POS.

THE way to confirm PROBABLE piston slap short of a teardown is with a borescope. Was this done, or did this guy pull it out of his butt because it was clearly what you wanted to hear? Noise diagnosis is quite tricky.

Your "head mechanic" has said that piston slap is "normal" and you still give him credibility to tell the time of day? The best thing I can say about that guy is that he's clueless. He might be a crook... I might buy "common," but piston slap is absolutely not normal.

Piston slap is often clearly audible on a stone cold engine at idle. If it doesn't show up right away on a cold startup, it's not piston slap. Some of your descriptions sound very much like detonation or harmonic resonance (the heat shield or something else loose and vibrating). Can you at least try a tank of premium before going off the deep end?

Upgrades are NOT repairs. Don't go there. Modifying a broken engine is pissing into the wind.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hey dude been there done that on the premium octaine chevron 94 no diference . Now I never said I was standing by my cough cough sorry"FORDS head mech. I feel like he is bs'ing me but he said keep driving it "as is" not to worry, and the waranty will take care of it if anything goes wrong."oh joy 2.5-3 years left on my 5 year 100,000 km waranty as I have put over 18000 km in the 5 months since I purcahced the truck. I have rebuilt 2 strokes and know my way around a motor. I also know that piston slap can be caused by a sloppy motor build bad tolorences . Ford was closing a plant in the us and maby my truck came from that one ?? "guys getting there pinkslips arn't going to care about quality control!!!" I am going to insist a borescope is done. I can gaurantee its not pre det or a loose heat sheild. now that you mentioned it if you listen hard you can here a deep but quiet thunk thunk thunk on idle sounds like only 1 piston is doing it prob the one thats not fitting right. As far as upgrades go I was only going to do them AFTER the motor is fixed as I dont plan on stressing a sick motor. So if you can please give me all ya know on proven performance upgrades it would be appreciated :pray::pray::pray::pray: thanks for your time

Last edited:

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had a 1988 ranger that had piston slap. It started after the engine was rebuilt. I was told that this was normal by a couple of garages. It finally slapped the piston sideways in the block 50,000 miles later.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
The bolt on's make a tiny little bit of difference. Put the cold air intake (or make one out of 3" PVC pipe and rubber connectors, much cheaper!!!) and put the flowmaster cat-back exhaust system on there (the one with a flowmaster muffler and mandrel-bent tail pipe). This will at least make it "sound" more powerful. I did notice just a slight difference on the ole' butt dyno when I did it to my explorer.

The ultimate "bolt-on" is the supercharger availible from explorer express. It is quite pricey however. This will dramatically improve power though.

Don't mind MAKG. He know's his stuff and it is worth taking advice from him. He just gets a bit ornery if you don't do everything he says. Then again I probably would too if had to answer the same questions over and over again.

Yeah, piston slap is not normal for the SOHC, although I have heard a few complaints about it. The OHV never had piston slap issues. For the record I've got 150,000 miles on my 4.0 and it's still in great shape with plenty of power.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals