• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please help

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Just installed a new clutch and fly wheel in a 03/04 ranger with 296,000 miles and no known history. I picked the truck up on a trailer because the clutch was slipping and the slave was not releasing the clutch fully...

Now the truck runs and drives but it's acting like it has a random vacuum leak and I am getting multiple codes. Once in a while I will go to take off from a stop and it will hesitate and start missing but it seems to do this more when cold.

P0446 EVAP canister vent system performance
P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) control circuit
P0135 HO2S-11 (bank 1 sensor 1) heater circuit malfunction
P0141 HO2S-12 (bank 1 sensor 2) heater circuit malfunction
P0155 HO2S-21 (bank 2 sensor 1) heater circuit malfunction
P0161 HO2S-22 (bank 2 sensor 2) heater circuit malfunction
P2195 Lack of HO2S-11 switching, sensor indicates lean
P2197 Lack of HO2S-21 switching, sensor indicates lean

Any expletive or advice is welcome.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Holy ****ing codes batman!

Check two things for me.

1) Check that you didn't pinch one or both O2 sensor pigtails between the engine and trans when you put it back together.

2) Check the fuses, all of them if you have to, and see if the one for the O2 heaters is blown. I don't know which one it is and don't have a book handy to check.

Given the codes you have I am betting you pinched and cut wires for the oxygen sensors, popped a fuse or two, and crashed the O2 signal. Low voltage is lean, so no voltage would be really lean. It would also explain 3/4 of your codes, and is an easy enough mistake to make on that setup. I've done it more than once.

And before you point out that you were able to get all the sensors plugged back in, you have have the wires pinched above the plug and still be able to plug it in.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Any thing is possible. I don't think I hooked the 02s up wrong but I will check for pinched wires. I had the harness tucked out of the way but like you pointed out it does happen.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Any thing is possible. I don't think I hooked the 02s up wrong but I will check for pinched wires. I had the harness tucked out of the way but like you pointed out it does happen.
It does.

First trans I removed on a lift (not my first ever, just first on a lift) I thought I had the connector tucked up out of the way, and somehow the plug got down in the bell, and I never noticed that I didn't hook up the one sensor.

BTW, I really doubt you have them hooked up wrong, I think you probably pinched a wire, grounded it, and blew a fuse that powers everything you have codes for.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a look at Fuse 41 in engine fuse box, that's for 2003/2004
O2 sensor heater fuse

And as a heads up, O2 sensor connectors are standard connectors in that there is no left/right difference, you can reverse them and they plug in just fine, but don't work just fine, lol.

That is NOT your problem, just a "heads up" for future reference

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals