• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please Help,88 ranger wont start

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I posted under the same title about a week ago but I am reposting because im not sure it is still getting views and I could really use some help, Original post is under the same title posted in general discussion and under 4 cylinder(2000 and older). Ok, im about ready to roll this truck off a cliff,lol. I have checked the battery, its getting 12V,tested it with key on and it dropped to 11.7V, have replaced starter, starter solenoid,ignition switch and for some reason I am still not getting power to the starter. Thought maybe NSS, went to autozone and they didnt have the right part, in this model it is the clutch pedal position switch, went to orileys and the one they had was similar but not the same and was $40 so i decided to just try to bypass it to see if it is even the problem before buying, looked up a video and im pretty sure im doing it right but not positive, STILL NOTHING! I dont understand how im not getting power to the starter after replacing all of this. I dont have experience so any help would be appreciated.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I saw that this issue was fixed on one post it was the igniton wiring was wrong are you still having issues??

Sent while eating tacos

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Find someone to operate the ignition while you hold a test light connection to the small terminal on the starter relay, and the other end to a known good ground.(check the light will light by touching the ground and the + terminal of the battery at the same time)
Have them turn the key to START. If the light glows, you have power to the starter relay(near the battery under the plastic cover). The relay should click/snap when you put the terminal back in place, and have the remote starter person move the key to START once again. If it does, then the safety switches, neutral safety(MLPS in 'new' terminology) or the clutch pedal switch are working. MLPS=manual lever position sensor.
If the relay won't do anything, or the light won't light, you have a safety switch problem or an ignition switch problem.
The ignition switch is mounted atop the steering column, down a bit from the lock cylinder, connected and operated by a rod. When you turn the key, the rod moved the internal bits of the switch to connect things as necessary. If the switch is defective, worn out, or is coming apart(which they do when they get old), it may not be making the contact needed. Remove the column cover (three Philips screws in most cases) and take a look at the switch & operating mechanism.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals