• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please explain "Prerunner"

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
You need more engine or something because you apparently wasn’t going fast enough.

Like a mammoth in a tar pit.
You know. Even AllanD commented on the 2.9 vs 5.0 in stock configuration,and the 2.9 beating it out in performance/l.....

So uh.

tenor (2).gif

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You know. Even AllanD commented on the 2.9 vs 5.0 in stock configuration,and the 2.9 beating it out in performance/l.....
On September seventh, two thousand and nineteen, a date which will live in infamy... let it be recorded on stone tablets and shouted from the mountain that one 2.9 did not outperform a 5.0.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
On September seventh, two thousand and nineteen, a date which will live in infamy... let it be recorded on stone tablets and shouted from the mountain that one 2.9 did not outperform a 5.0.

You know what.

You right. 🖖🏿

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@JOLENE_THE_RANGER. Forgive me. I wasnt talking about the REAL pre runners that really do it ( like you and your people ) I'm talking about the other ones. The ones that post " how do I lift my 2wd TIB Ranger" and they live in Florida backwoods. Let me just tell you that there is not much "rerunning" around here.
i understand what youre saying. i believe that just about any (custom) vehicle is purpose built. even if its purpose is just plain ole LOOKIN cool. not every one NEEDS or believes in a 4wd truck. BUT if you have to do some light dirt road driving and have a 2wd...well a small lift to fit a larger tire will help you THAT much more with traction on those rare occasions. i honestly dont see nothing wrong with it. hell, id rather have a 2wd with tires and a locker than a "4wd" with two open diffs :ROFLMAO:
but we all have our opinions and thats all good!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It's a big country and what works in one area won't in another. People in the south west can't imagine why we spray oil all over the underside of our trucks. When we received the first 91 Explorers they all pulled to the right- NH crowns the roads to aid runoff, Michigan doesn't- and we had to realign them to correct it. We didn't stock any 2wd trucks because we sold so few. Every Super Duty was ordered with a snow plow package, practically none had all season tires, almost every vehicle was ordered with a heavy duty battery. The sales department wouldn't stock any Mustangs from fall until late March,early April. I interviewed a guy from Texas for a service advisor position and he asked me what all the "fancy cattle guards" were that he was seeing on trucks. I had never heard of a cattle guard, what he described was the triangular yellow piece on a Fisher snow plow frame. Fisher plows are made in Maine and are the standard in New England- a Myers or Western is considered a light duty home owner plow.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Seems there's 2wd vs 4wd debate on whats a true prerunner, I say either can be. I had a 2wd fullsize v8 pickup with 36" xterrains and a locker, and if the suspension let me carry momentum, I got through most anything....even hill climbs were doable if they had a decent line I could haul ass up. The only time my 2wd got stuck no matter what was at pismo beach (oceano dunes). I could cruise the beach fine, but heading toward the dunes, even aired down and hauling ass, I'd make it about 50 yards and sink like a brick, and that became camp. It was funny and sad seeing front wheel drive passenger cars floating across the sand past my camp/stuck truck. The sunken tires did make for easy loading, and I'd just have a buddy w/ 4wd yank me out when it was time to go home.

there pros/cons to both

2wd pros: lighter, easier to build the front suspension for travel, less parts to break, less power loss through drivetrain.
2wd cons: less traction, more stress on the drivetrain, must be driven more aggressively. Still way easier to get stuck.

4wd pros: way more traction and dispersed across entire vehicle, less strain on vehicle, most vehicles offer the option of 2wd/4wd, which can get you unstuck if you save the 4wd for just that. Also a better start off out of the box, since they usually have a little more travel and tire size in stock form than 2wd's do.
4wd cons: more difficult/complicated suspension to gain travel, more restricted front suspension due to drivetrain, more drivetrain components to upgrade, maintain or break...and more weight because of drivetrain, and power loss...also more difficult to re-gear,

BTW my 2wd prerunner was a Ram 1500, and an awesome but shitty truck lol.
My current 2wd is an '08 F150, but its far from a prerunner (its a daily driver work truck).

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no i agree that a prerunner can be 4wd or 2wd. especially if its got TTBs. i was just referring to the statement above that said the people with 2wds make it look like a 4wd just cuz they couldnt afford a "real" truck. its all about your goal. ive pulled stock 4wd trucks out of the dunes with my 2wd prerunner :stirthepot:

theres been huge breaks in racing with AWD trophy trucks. those things are complete works of art. they are paving the way for the future of unlimited truck racing but at a cost. they havent been staying together long enough to finish a race as far as transmissions and front drive units go but are getting better and better each race.
mason motorsports created an all new "masonmatic" transmission and its going to dominate imo.
heres a pretty cool video about it if anyone is interested.

airbourneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Tire Size
245/45-18 & 275/40-18
My credo
Tighten it until it snaps then back off a 1/4 turn
I thought it was one of those premature uh, um, well you know :icon_surprised:

Crosscut_Drifter

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As I understand it, a prerunner is a lifted 2 wheel drive. I don't understand lifting a 2wd or what it would be used for. I've spent my life in NH, no one buys a 2wd truck except for use as a delivery vehicle because they have no resale value here.
I guess it depends on the terrain you're driving. I've never felt the need for 4WD unless I getting into situations where it could be handy. My theory is good snow tires with sensible driving (don't go where you'll get stuck) gets me through all the winters I receive.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I pretty much use 4wd for getting myself unstuck, driving in pure sand, or doing something I could do in 2wd, but with less hammering in 4wd.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4WD isn't really what helps, FWD(front wheel drive) is what helps

Just physics, its easier to PULL a load than to PUSH a load, try it, lol
Its why you pull the sled up the hill, not push it up the hill :)

In 4WD the truck PULLS the load
In 2WD(RWD) it PUSHES the load and front tires dig in to any soft material, and your stuck

Yes, the weight of the engine on front axle really helps, but if you have ever driven a sand rail, RWD with engine over the rear axle, you will know why the front axle has almost 0 weight on it, lol, front wheels WILL dig in unless you apply enough power to lift them up

A "pre-runner" was a beater vehicle used to pre-run an off-road race course, usually 2WD, but always a beater that could be abused without the worry of breaking an expensive to replace part
It's now a "Class" of vehicle, lol, and why not, so different meaning than original

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that push pull statement is reliant in suspension geometry too.
a sand rail will only dig the front wheels if it has alot of anti squat built into the suspension geometry. a sand rail (or truck) with less anti squat (more rear weight transfer under power) will dig the front much less or not at all.
its harder to push a box on the ground from the top of it (this mimics suspension having more than 100% anti squat) rather than pushing a box from the bottom of it (less than 100% antisquat)

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Majority of the rigs around here are prerunners or huge 1 ton monsters. besides that mostly pavement queens
4WD isn't really what helps, FWD(front wheel drive) is what helps

Just physics, its easier to PULL a load than to PUSH a load, try it, lol
Its why you pull the sled up the hill, not push it up the hill :)

In 4WD the truck PULLS the load
In 2WD(RWD) it PUSHES the load and front tires dig in to any soft material, and your stuck

Yes, the weight of the engine on front axle really helps, but if you have ever driven a sand rail, RWD with engine over the rear axle, you will know why the front axle has almost 0 weight on it, lol, front wheels WILL dig in unless you apply enough power to lift them up

A "pre-runner" was a beater vehicle used to pre-run an off-road race course, usually 2WD, but always a beater that could be abused without the worry of breaking an expensive to replace part
It's now a "Class" of vehicle, lol, and why not, so different meaning than original
This is especially true in the sand dunes. My old 2wd sat on 37" mudders, but sank like a brick while front wheel drive passenger cars cruised right past me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals