• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please elaborate on what you use to prevent seized brake drum

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
anti-seize on lug nuts absolutely suck if you work at a tire or break shop. I was told by a technician that it actually isn't needed on Ford's lug nuts like this
1655908382263.png
or any lug nut at all because it affects the torque applied or something of that nature.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
anti-seize on lug nuts absolutely suck if you work at a tire or break shop. I was told by a technician that it actually isn't needed on Ford's lug nuts like this View attachment 78086 or any lug nut at all because it affects the torque applied or something of that nature.
It affects the torque on all threaded fasteners. It reduces friction. Therefore, when you apply 85 ft-lbs of torque (just as an example) to the fastener, there is not as much friction to overcome. So the fastener turns further and becomes tighter than it would with clean, dry threads. I've seen recommendations of 20% to 30% less torque needed.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I checked thoroughly to make sure I installed the drum brakes correctly. I do the brake pedal thing also while reversing periodically.
The adjuster lever that came with the hardware kit is correct. I checked. But the way the lever came from the factory..........it was barely making contact with the star wheel tooth notch......or maybe not at all. That's why I had to modify it
about 10 days after I checked my install. I had to modify the levers also 5 years ago with the previous install. I notice the lever design changed too.

I will never stop using anti-seize lubricant on wheel studs. It has always served me well. The only people that would have contact with my lug nuts are the tire stores. And I never let them put a new tire/wheel on the studs.
I had to either drill out or cut off wheel studs on two different occasions after someone else did work. After that, I never let anyone else ever put on lug nuts again, I never had another problem.

Last edited:

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It affects the torque on all threaded fasteners. It reduces friction. Therefore, when you apply 85 ft-lbs of torque (just as an example) to the fastener, there is not as much friction to overcome. So the fastener turns further and becomes tighter than it would with clean, dry threads. I've seen recommendations of 20% to 30% less torque needed.
Ditto for putting oil on threads before assembly. Torque should be reduced to account for the oil as well.

Given the problems I've always had with corrosion causing seizure, most fasteners probably should have some sort of antiseize, especially in parts exposed to heat, chemicals such as salt, or weather. I can count on one hand the number of times I really had to use Loctite to prevent loosening. The rest of the time it's been the opposite problem.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I checked thoroughly to make sure I installed the drum brakes correctly. I do the brake pedal thing also while reversing periodically.
The adjuster lever that came with the hardware kit is correct. I checked. But the way the lever came from the factory..........it was barely making contact with the star wheel tooth notch......or maybe not at all. That's why I had to modify it
about 10 days after I checked my install. I had to modify the levers also 5 years ago with the previous install. I notice the lever design changed too.

I will never stop using anti-seize lubricant on wheel studs. It has always served me well. The only people that would have contact with my lug nuts are the tire stores. And I never let them put a new tire/wheel on the studs.
I had to either drill out or cut off wheel studs on two different occasions after someone else did work. After I never let anyone else ever put on lug nuts again, I never had another problem.
I worked at a brake shop for a few years and the lead Mechanic made me clean any stud I found with it on there, I was the Tire/Lathe guy. Sprayed the studs with Brake Kleen and a Rag to wipe with and the lug nuts went to the parts cleaner and got a bath. Thank you for NOT letting the tire guys get that stuff all over their hands, shirts and pants.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah. That's true. It's not fun getting that silvery stuff on ya'. Get covered with that stuff and you look like something out of a Science Fiction TV series.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Just don't get covered in it. It's easy.

Anybody who's afraid to get a little bit dirty, just go back inside and play video games.
:yahoo: :icon_twisted: ;missingteeth;

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals