• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please elaborate on what you use to prevent seized brake drum

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
In a recent discussion, I described the problem of having a stuck brake drum. I had to pound it off.

A couple of you were saying you use a lubricant to prevent seized brake drums. Can you be more specific on exactly where you apply the lubricant on what lubricant you use?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The best thing you can do to prevent a drum actually seizing to the axle... is maintenance. Remove drums... clean and inspect... then properly adjust the brakes.

I think yours were free on the axle... but got hung up on the shoes on the way off.

However... I use just a dab of the silver Permatex anti-seize around the center hub of the axle flange.

Warning... most people use about 5 times what they actually need. Use it sparingly.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
There are lots of moving parts... don't use it on ANY of them.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I prefer Fluid Film for stuff like you are asking about. Apply it on the hub face. And on the face of the drum so the wheel doesn’t stick. The last part is less of an issue but it does happen.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When Chevy first started putting RABS in trucks they would spread graphite power on the brake drums to keep the RABS from kicking in unnecessarily.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I second the Fluid Film sprayed liberally on the axle hub itself to prevent the drum from seizing to the axle hub. I have used anti-seize in the past but as the meme suggests it gets everywhere even if you are careful.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I second the Fluid Film sprayed liberally on the axle hub itself to prevent the drum from seizing to the axle hub. I have used anti-seize in the past but as the meme suggests it gets everywhere even if you are careful.
I had put a slight dab of anti seize on the studs of my 2011 right after I bought. The crap is still there and still gets on everything. Even after several good douchings with brake cleaner.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. I never heard of the drum getting stuck on the axle hub. Never had that problem. But on more than one occasion, I had to back out the adjuster screw a bunch of turns to get the drum off. I have been using anti-seize lubricant for years. But after talking to you guys, I now know I have been applying too much anti-seize.

But this will likely be the last set of drum brakes I will ever have. I've had it with those. I just don't see why these can't be phased out for passenger cars at least. Too much trouble to install and maintain.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I either have the drum stick to the axle shaft or a ring of rust gets built up around the outside of the drum and then it won't slide past the shoes unless you dial the adjuster all the way down...and even then it's often not enough and you just have to sacrifice a set of shoes. Nature of the beast... fortunately with you in AZ you shouldn't have to fight much.

I actually really like rear drum brakes. I prefer them to discs and I feel that they are superior in that application because there is more surface area for the shoes to grab leading to a mechanical advantage over a smaller surface area with disc brake pads...and the parking brakes are much simpler and easier to set up. There are also no issues with slide pins and stuff getting seized up from salt spray...big problem up here with rear discs. I truly have many, many more issues with rear discs than I do rear drums in my part of the world.

I'd never go back to front drums though. That's a hard, hard pass. Brake fade and keeping those damn things adjusted equally is a nightmare.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I hate the ratcheting/screw adjusters on the disk brake/parking brake.

The drum in disk design is just stupid. Especially how they have it on the rangers.

"we put a drum brake in the disc brake to use for a parking brake, but we made it too small so you have to disassemble it to adjust it since we can't fit an adjuster in there."
If they wanted disc brakes they should have use some from a mustang or something without the Hat.

Rear drums are the way to go, especially if you have the tool for doing the springs.
1654707423928.png

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I hate the ratcheting/screw adjusters on the disk brake/parking brake.

The drum in disk design is just stupid. Especially how they have it on the rangers.

"we put a drum brake in the disc brake to use for a parking brake, but we made it too small so you have to disassemble it to adjust it since we can't fit an adjuster in there."
If they wanted disc brakes they should have use some from a mustang or something without the Hat.

Rear drums are the way to go, especially if you have the tool for doing the springs.
View attachment 77539
I'm not fond of the Ford disc/drum parking brake either.

The conversions that use the Eldorado calipers are way better design IMHO.

That said... the drum brakes on my pick up work well enough that I would never be looking to put rear disc brake on it.

Paisano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I guess it depends on one's experiences and preferences. For me, I just find dealing with drum brakes unpleasant for different reasons. I've never had a bad experience working on disc brakes.

For a hobbyist or someone who really likes tinkering..................I can see why they would like working on drum brakes.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I guess it depends on one's experiences and preferences. For me, I just find dealing with drum brakes unpleasant for different reasons. I've never had a bad experience working on disc brakes.

For a hobbyist or someone who really likes tinkering..................I can see why they would like working on drum brakes.
Wait till you have a Super Duty with rear discs, that wear out, and one of the pads flips over and locks up the rear brakes. Then you discover that the pistons in the calipers are stuck, the slide pins are so rusted that they are junk, and the rotors are too worn to be turned.................. I am sure glad all of that happened in my driveway but it was like $500 worth of parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals