• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Planning to do full front/rear brake replacement

RavenRanger01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Hey gang. So I am looking to do all my brakes for my 2003 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOHC 4.0L V6 in the near future. Now, I do not have a lot of hours clocked doing brake replacements but I think I feel confident in my ability to do so... I am reaching out to see what recommendations or what forewarning some of you may have. Do you recommend a specific brand? Tips?

I know I am new here so bare with me if my posts aren't formatted appropriately.

Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do one Rear brake at a time, each side has different parts so can not be mixed with the other side
Always put in new rear slaves/wheel cylinders with new shoes, the rest of the stuff can be cleaned and reused

Brake dust is nasty stuff, and messy, have lots of rags and cleaner for the rear

Take pictures as you go, they are FREE, and can be very helpful on reassembly, especially on the rear brakes

Have a friend on hand for bleeding when you are done, or you can bleed each wheel when you are done with it while wheel is still off, makes it easier
Remember to top up brake's master cylinder after bleeding

RavenRanger01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Okay, thanks for the precaution.

As I am shopping and looking for the Rear Drum Brake Hardware kits they don't seem to specify the intention for either Driver-side or Passenger-side.. I will link some parts I found which I would like some input on before I buy them. The only real discrepency I am finding is that I am seeing 9" and 10" Drums. Do the dimensions correspond with their respective side of the vehicle?

Master Cylinder?
Rear Brake Kit W/ Wheel Cylinder

Oh, and i WILL make sure I have plenty of rags haha...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You should have 10" drums on a 4.0l 4x4, but they do look different, the 9" or 10", pictures here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/drivetrain-tech-37/rear-brake-drum-size-135609/

Then have a look at YOUR rear drums

They will be the same on both sides, either both 10" or both 9"

You don't need a Master cylinder

You do need 2 rear wheel cylinders and 2 sets of rear shoes, matching diameter, 9" or 10"

You do need 2 sets of new front pads
Rotors and calipers are optional, but..............if you were feeling a pulsing or shimmy when braking then you have a warped front rotor, and that can be caused by a sticking caliper
In this case you would get 2 new calipers and 2 new rotors along with the new pads

But if brakes felt fine then just get the new pads.

After installing BOTH rear shoes and bleeding, sit in drivers seat, hold out the Parking brake release handle and pump the Parking brake pedal until it gets tight, you can't over tighten it, so pump it until it is stopping at the same place each time.
Rear is now adjusted

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I usually have the rotors and drums turned. If you don't have the time to do this you should at least get new rotors and scuff the drums with emery cloth or something to brake the glaze. Of course, if they are worn past the minimum or can't be turned without going past the minimum, you will have to get new ones. I have never replaced my calipers with 247K miles on them. That doesn't mean they never need to be replaced though.

I always get new front brake hardware in addition to the pads. I use Akebono ACT652 brake pads and have been very happy with them. They normally come with stainless steel hardware. I run Raybestos Super Stop shoes on the rear but they don't make those anymore. I am sure they have something equivalent though.

I had to upgrade the friction material on my Ranger. The 02 has smaller rotors than the 03 and later Rangers. I felt the brakes where marginal, especially for towing. The pads and shoes I use now made a great improvement over the stuff that came from the factory.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Don't buy cheap brake pads or shoes, they're examples of parts where you should step up. Being in Vt(I'm in NH), you have some unique conditions to deal with. The slide points on the calipers and anchors are no doubt rusty and will need to be cleaned- I use a file to get them smooth and flat- and lubricated, I use copper never-seize but there are other good lubes out there. The caliper pins and the boots they ride in will need to be cleaned-if they're rusty replace them- and lubed with silicone grease. If you use petroleum based grease it will attack the boots and the pins will stick. I clean and lube my caliper slides every year.Where the rear shoes ride on the backing plates will also need to be cleaned and lubed with a thin film, don't over do it. Screw the rear adjusters out, at least most of the way, clean the threads and lightly lube them with never-seize.Even if you don't have to replace anything hydraulic it's a good idea to flush out the brake fluid every couple of years- just be careful not to empty the reservoir and get air in the ABS system or you may need to have the system bled by a shop with a scan tool. You can do this, just pay attention and take your time.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Also,if you reuse the rotors you should grind the rust ridge off the edges and if you replace them getting them off the hubs may be a struggle but go easy, you don't want to bend the flange under the rotor. We pay an awful price for road salt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals