• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Planning a V8 swap in 93 ranger

jklolkik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know it has been covered and all but im still not really making sense of it. I have a lowered 93 ranger 4.0 v6 with the m5odr1 and an explorer 8.8. I am wanting to stick with a manual and EFI.

Its going to be just a street driven truck with some drifting after other mods. I would also like to make power down the road.

What donor vehicles would be ideal?
96-01 explorer for engine or would a f150 be better to pull everything from

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1996/7 Explorer is best, no anti-theft(PATS) to deal with, but not a big deal

Explorer has a shorter intake manifold that fits the explorer/ranger engine bay

A truck 5.0l can be used, Ford stopped using the 302/5.0l in full size trucks and vans by 1996/7, Explorers were the only Fords that used the 302/5.0l thru 2001

Manual trans needed would be the M5OD-R2 but............you need one from a 1997-2003 F-150 with a 4.2l V6, the 4.2l used same trans bolt pattern as 5.0l, earlier M5OD-R2 had shifter farther forward so it comes up under Ranger dash, custom shift arm can be made, but the 1997-2003 model has shifter come up same as Rangers M5OD-R1

jklolkik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The M5OD-R2 is pretty much a direct bolt in correct or are there alittle modifications needed to be done?

Also what about the clutch and flywheel situation and wiring?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
If I were you, I'd try to drive a truck with the M5OD first. They shift exactly like you'd think. Like a truck. I never could stand them myself. Too slow between gears.

jklolkik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well unless you meant with the R2 I have. My truck had the R1. But probably not the same for the shift feel. I have heard about the mustang t5 being alittle weak. With my driving habits id probably blow it in a week after installing. With my budget I cant really afford getting a better tranny yet. But later when I turbo I will upgrade the tranny

Maybe I will use the T5. Just did alittle more reading it might hold up. As for the speedo I will just use an electronic speedometer what more would be needed for the t5 swap?

In my mind it should be easier at least with the computer as I could pull one from a manual 5.0 mustang and not have to worry about the CEL

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The M5OD-R2 is pretty much a direct bolt in correct or are there alittle modifications needed to be done?
To use the 4.2l M5OD behind the 5.0l you have the drill the bellhousing bolts out from M10 to 7/16".

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
My Z spec T5 holds up fine and I beat the truck like a red-headed step-child with a Torsen 8.8 and 10.5" rear tires. I'm running a Foxbody A9P EEC for an automatic transmission in my 5spd. No problems and it runs great. It's common for guys to run the A9P with a manual trans, but you can't run the A9L EEC with an automatic..

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I much prefer the T5 to any of the Mazda based transmission, I just don't like the way they shift. After 42 years in the dealer service department I've driven a lot of them. If I couldn't use a T5 or Tremec I'd look for a wide ratio top loader 4 speed before using a Mazda.

jklolkik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Not sure if links are allowed.
But would this be a good buy? Is it worth it

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I think he's got it priced pretty high. Unless he's willing to pull the heads to show you the condition of the engine, and let you remove the top cover on the T5 to check it's internals..

It's basically an unknown mileage engine, and in that respect, you can pick those up at Pull-a-Part and Pick-a-Part yards all day long for a couple/few hundred bucks each, and in some cases you could even verify the mileage. I can get a used, unknown condition T5 within a 2 hour drive of my location, for $200 each, any day of the week..

It is a nice little package deal though, IF you could get his price down considerably. That's just my opinion though..

Keep in mind, if using the T5 transmission, you'll have to figure out the shifter location through the floor. After hee-hawing back and forth I finally decided to buy a new T5Z from Modern Driveline with their front shift-rear socket tailhousing, because converting it over to use the Chevy S-10 tailhousing (front shifter) wasn't recommended by several T5 builders I spoke with. They said that there were internal oiling issues that weren't easily solved and proven to be 100% reliable, not to mention the speedo output and solving that problem in a reliable manner. In my case, buying the new T5Z was worth every penny.

jklolkik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I dont really car about the position of the shifter. Already have "bucket seats". Going to put in some mustang seats if i can find good ones at the JY.

Another question. Any tips on installing the 302 t5 combo? As to positioning of the tranny. Should I mount tranny first then engine?

Just talked to the seller. He has 90% of everything needed to install. He said the original owner said the tranny was rebuilt. He has never ran it so he doesnt know for sure.

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Nearly all sellers say something to the effect of "previous owner said it was rebuilt" - but I rarely find that to be true.. I make my offers based on this fact.

I installed my engine first and then the trans. I left the engine mount to engine plate nuts slightly loose so I could fine tune the front to back positioning of the engine and transmission after installing the trans..

jklolkik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
After offering him 1500$ he has not gotten back to me.

So off to the junkyard I go. What should I look for when checking over the engine and transmission?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Hard to say other than looking at the odometer, visually checking the engine's freeze plugs, and just looking for leaks. If it looks to have a heavy leak anywhere, then the previous owner might have ran it low on fluids at one point or another..

If you really want to get serious, then a compression tester might be a good idea. Using a spare battery and some jumper cables to turn the engine over.

I'd keep trying to get ahold of that seller and try to negotiate with him. That's a good year of engine to have with it's forged pistons.

jklolkik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Only problem is I dont have much money to work with right now. Just 2000$ even 1500$ wont leave me with much left over to buy other stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals