• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pistol target stand?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
So i pulled the trigger (haha) and bought myself a pistol. Its my first handgun ive ever owned and honestly....i cant shoot it for shit.

Part of it is the gun itself, i bought a taurus 856 revolver. Its a 2inch snub nose .38 special (yes, i went old school). I plan on getting my CPL and carrying mainly up north on trail rides, as well as having it in the house for defense.

Either way, i wanna build a stand to put these bad ass targets i bought on....they look like this if youre wondering...
51KlSm2AI9L._AC_SY400_.jpg

So anyways...im trying to decide if i wanna use weighted PVC pipe for the stand...or 2x4s...im leaning toward 2x4s at the minute but what do you guys think?

And then the backer for the target....i was thinking OSB board but will that splinter to bad? Stopping the bullet isnt a huge deal as i shoot in front of a big hill that stops it.

Any input?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
2X4s would be a bit easier to work with. To me, it seems to make sense to space the frame boards so the target can be stapled the the frame. Maybe use some cardboard as a backer if a backer is really needed for smaller than IPSIC sized targets.

Of course the ultimate targets are steel that can be used over and over again but they can be spendy and you need to get the angle right so spalling from the bullet impacts go into the ground instead of right back at you.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
2X4s would be a bit easier to work with. To me, it seems to make sense to space the frame boards so the target can be stapled the the frame. Maybe use some cardboard as a backer if a backer is really needed for smaller than IPSIC sized targets.

Of course the ultimate targets are steel that can be used over and over again but they can be spendy and you need to get the angle right so spalling from the bullet impacts go into the ground instead of right back at you.
Ive never shot a paper target....but the targets can be just stapled with no backer? It wont rip it to much when the bullet goes thru?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I use some kind of metal for the post, something like conduit or T bar used for wire fences. Attach some kind of backing to that like thin plywood or thick cardboard. Personally I prefer hanging targets, using steel plates off chains dropped off a tree branch or some posts.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Also it take getting used to your gun. revolvers are easier to shoot, just get used to the trigger, which I prefer to shoot single action.

I grew up shooting and Glocks, and attribute that to why I cant shoot any 1911 styles worth a crap...

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Cardboard boxes work fine, in a pinch. So do *surplus* election signs... shouldn't have a problem finding a few come November.

The only way you could have picked a worse gun to learn to shoot, would have been to get the same thing in .357 mag. Those feel like someone smacked you in the palm of the hand with a baseball bat! Great for carry, not so much for building skills. If you really want to learn to shoot, you'll be money ahead getting any sort of decent .22 rimfire handgun. The ammo you will save in practice, will more than pay for the gun. That's assuming there's any on the shelf, which might be iffy right now. In normal (non-apocalypse) times, used Ruger .22 autos are fairly cheap. A 1911 would be a pussycat with full power hardball, by comparison to your snubbie. And probably a lot easier to learn to shoot with.

A handful of clay targets (skeet targets) on the berm are a good way to build skills, without the boredom of shooting paper over and over.

Good luck.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I built this one a couple months ago. It's a bit overkill on engineering. But it's easy to fold and store. I use cardboard stapled to the upright 1" X2" boards for a backer. You don't need to add weight to the stand if using cardboard backer. The bullets go through easily and don't impart much force to the target stand.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
paper will do just fine with no backing. wood splinters like hell, especially OSB.

by chance is your hill 200-250 yards away?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ive never shot a paper target....but the targets can be just stapled with no backer? It wont rip it to much when the bullet goes thru?
They will hold up fine. A backer will allow them to get shot more but you really have to shoot them up before it makes a difference.

At the speed bullets travel, they usually punch right through no problem and leave a clean hole.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
In your case it sounds it will be more practice for necessity than fun. I would start off using some light loads to save your wrist and the top strap from unnecessary fatigue, then once you get comfortable, practice using whatever loads you will be carrying with. Which if it can handle, I would get some +P hollowpoints in 125 or 158 grain. Then may get a gun thats fun to shoot, like a .22 or a cowboy revolver.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
In your case it sounds it will be more practice for necessity than fun. I would start off using some light loads to save your wrist and the top strap from unnecessary fatigue, then once you get comfortable, practice using whatever loads you will be carrying with. Which if it can handle, I would get some +P hollowpoints in 125 or 158 grain. Then may get a gun thats fun to shoot, like a .22 or a cowboy revolver.
I read the 158+p semiwadcutter aka "fbi loads" are about the best it gets for a snubby 38 for defense.

Ive been feeding cheapo FMJ .38special 158grains through it for target practice. Im thinking part of the reason i was having so much trouble was i was shooting a pretty unrealistic target. A old real estate sign that was maybe 2.5 feet tall from 7 yards or so. It was literally too low to really aim properly. My grouping wasnt bad but i was always way high/low.

The stand i wanna build im gonna make where the target is about 6ft tall to more closely resemble a self defense situation.

The gun actually dont kick that bad. I ran almost 100 rounds through it with no fatigue or wrist soreness. .38 special ammo isnt even *that* hard to come by right now.

My buddys got a 9mm and thats about impossible to get ammo for. Im guessing because the 9 is probably by far the most common defense load these days.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I read the 158+p semiwadcutter aka "fbi loads" are about the best it gets for a snubby 38 for defense.

Ive been feeding cheapo FMJ .38special 158grains through it for target practice. Im thinking part of the reason i was having so much trouble was i was shooting a pretty unrealistic target. A old real estate sign that was maybe 2.5 feet tall from 7 yards or so. It was literally too low to really aim properly. My grouping wasnt bad but i was always way high/low.

The stand i wanna build im gonna make where the target is about 6ft tall to more closely resemble a self defense situation.

The gun actually dont kick that bad. I ran almost 100 rounds through it with no fatigue or wrist soreness. .38 special ammo isnt even *that* hard to come by right now.

My buddys got a 9mm and thats about impossible to get ammo for. Im guessing because the 9 is probably by far the most common defense load these days.
I am a big fan of the 158g SWC. they work great in light loads, and better hot, even makes great .357 loads.

Thats weird, around here .38 is in short supply but 9mm can be found.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
The reason you are having trouble is a very short sight radius, and crappy sights. That, and 2" of barrel isn't much to stabilize a bullet. Again, worst possible platform to learn to shoot.

I had a snub Rossi that the side of a barn was safe from.... on the inside. My Taurus is better, but with full .357 loads it HURTS.

Get a .22 if you want to actually learn to shoot. Put a brick through the .22, then switch back to the .38. You will be amazed how much better your shooting gets, no matter the target.

FWIW the FMJ loads are usually pretty crappy in .38 special. If you were close to me I'd give away a bunch I have, serve no purpose and aren't very accurate.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The smaller the pistol, the more it will show you all your bad habits.

Work in one thing at a time. Much can be done dry firing. Use snap caps if it makes you feel more comfortable. The biggest is a smooth trigger pull. You can practice that with a coin balanced on the top of the gun. If you can pull the trigger and follow through with the trigger release without the coin falling off, you off to a good start. You can practice while watching TV.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
The smaller the pistol, the more it will show you all your bad habits.

Work in one thing at a time. Much can be done dry firing. Use snap caps if it makes you feel more comfortable. The biggest is a smooth trigger pull. You can practice that with a coin balanced on the top of the gun. If you can pull the trigger and follow through with the trigger release without the coin falling off, you off to a good start. You can practice while watching TV.

considering current situations, use real bullets when firing at the TV :dntknw:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals