• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pinion angle

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What does everybody around here do to set pinion angle? Ive got evrything started and have welded them in one place and ground them off and am going to try it again. Buddy of mine works at advance and says they have a tool you can buy to do it. Ive figured out already there must be a science to it except saying " looks good lets welder up". The truck is a 99 ranger exteded cab and im using 6 inch superlift leaf springs for an 87 chevy. Got a crossmember with spring hangers up front and shackles in the back. Gonna be runnin 15 38.5 15 inch boggers on 15X10 aluminim on dana 44 axles. Also rear pinion angle cause im using the dana 44 rear and lifting it via 63 inch chevy swap and soa(spring over axle). Thanks.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
what i did when i put my explorer axle in i made a reference spot an took measurements.. basically i used a protractor on the rear diff flange an found out where the drive shaft was according to the protractor. then put the explorer axle under and jacked up under the pinion an got to where it was before i started an put 4 heavy tacks an it was good to go.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Assemble everything without welding it (perches/axle/u-bolts), set the weight of the truck down on it and then see what the pinion angle looks like. This way it's only a matter of repositioning things until it looks good. Tack-weld the perches in place, then remove the axle and burn in your full welds.

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well sh!t. Hoping I have enough height in my garage/barn to put tires and everything on. When I put it in the garage my idea was to get out of the cold and when it was all done hook it to the tractor and pull it outside to put the tires on. I know you dont want to set to much pinion angle, but how do you know when you cant go anymore? At a certain point your not gonna get enough lubriction and it will effect caster. Is this still one of those things that if looks bad it prolly is but if it dosent it'll prolly work?

KENWIL138

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When I did mine I parked on a level surface and measured the pinion angle with an angle gauge before I took the truck apart. Then I just put the new axle on some jackstands and got the pinion angle right. Then I put the new spring pads on and leveled them out and welded it all together. Works great and doesnt vibrate or anything. Hope this helps.

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well I guess I will try it out again. When you say angle guage is it like tool my buddy was talking about at advance auto (its supposed to be for finding pinion angle) or is it another household tool?

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
I just set the full weight of the truck on the axles using small jackstands under the axle tubes. That way I did not have to lift it high enough to stuff my 38 under there

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright I should be able to do that in the small space im working in. Sounds like thats the way the others are doing it too. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals