• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pinion Angle Question

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
I am going to be swapping in an Explorer 8.8 with disc brakes. I read the tec article about the swap but i dont understand how to find the pinion angle. Could someone explain that to me further??
Also how do i connect the brake lines to the new axle??

Any information is appreciated! Thanks

-DJ

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You may have to rebend the lines a little to get them to line up with the new calipers. But honestly, having never done the swap, I dont really know. In this picture, it looks like some rubber lines were used. I imagine the best thing to do would be to get the lines with the axle

Here is a good link on pinion angle, and a picture:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pinionangles.htm

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Theres a few different ways to run the brake lines, but the way I did it was similar to the factory ranger setup (since I had SJ SS braided extended lines already). Get a new passenger side line from the parts store to use on the drivers side as the drivers line on explorers are the feed line. Install the new line on the driver's side caliper and connect to explorer's existing hard line. Then you must cut into and reflare the hard line on top the diff to accept the ranger's t-block.

As far as the pinion angle, just follow the instructions on:
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/drivetrain/driveline_angles_and_phasing_problems.html

In short, with your truck at ride height, the angle at your differential flange should match the angle off of the transfer case output.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals