• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pinion Angle Correction

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when they said put a new stabilizer on i told the guy to fawk awph.
Talked to my brother over lunch, I guess that is the fix, see attached pdf. Ford even extended the warranty to cover replacing the dampener. They switched from hydraulic to gas charged and they didn't make them right.

Anyway, back to my deal. I think I am just going to get 6* shims to get by with. Quick and easy fix to get the truck to not want to shake itself apart. BUT, I was reading @1991fordranger1 s thread and noticed his very different transmission crossmember. Instead of swooping over the exhaust like mine it dips under. When I have a slow day I might try to snag a similar one and see how it compares. At least check into it, it doesn't look like the trans sits quite as high inside the frame. A little down angle won't hurt much and I got to thinking it might help front driveshaft clearance a little too. As an end-all solution I think lowering the trans is probably the "right" way to do it.

1991's:

What I have:

It might sit a little lower, it is hard to tell with the differing angles. Worth checking into though and depending on how much I stick with it it would be much easier to lower the trans mount on that style of crossmember than mine. It also looks like it would just plain fit in my truck better too.

Attachments

Last edited:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
My
Talked to my brother over lunch, I guess that is the fix, see attached pdf. Ford even extended the warranty to cover replacing the dampener. They switched from hydraulic to gas charged and they didn't make them right.

Anyway, back to my deal. I think I am just going to get 6* shims to get by with. Quick and easy fix to get the truck to not want to shake itself apart. BUT, I was reading @1991fordranger1 s thread and noticed his very different transmission crossmember. Instead of swooping over the exhaust like mine it dips under. When I have a slow day I might try to snag a similar one and see how it compares. At least check into it, it doesn't look like the trans sits quite as high inside the frame. A little down angle won't hurt much and I got to thinking it might help front driveshaft clearance a little too. As an end-all solution I think lowering the trans is probably the "right" way to do it.

1991's:

What I have:

It might sit a little lower, it is hard to tell with the differing angles. Worth checking into though and depending on how much I stick with it it would be much easier to lower the trans mount on that style of crossmember than mine. It also looks like it would just plain fit in my truck better too.

Mine was a 2.9 a4ld with the manual transfer case. In a 90 supercab

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals