• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pinging under medium to heavy throttle

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Replaced my egr block off plate gasket today and it runs better, but the timing continues to jump around when the spout plug is in.

EDIT: also changed my ACT sensor sense I had a nib sitting around. The old one looked original and was all covered in black tar like goo. Cleaned the threads with brake cleaner before I put the new one in. Also made sure that all the ports off the upper intake were not plugged up by poking the brake cleaner spray tube through from the outside after unplugging the vacuum lines. Gave em all a little shot of cleaner just to be sure. All seamed to be clear but grungy dirty in the upper intake.

Exhaust pipe smells slightly rich imo when it's idling in neutral and at operating temp.....

Last edited:

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just put new TFI module, ECT sensor, 192* thermostat, and 2 gauge positive battery cable and it runs even better, BUT the miss is still there with the spout in. Going to buy new negative battery cable tomorrow....$46!!! Ouch!

Started to remove the egr sensor plug and wiring from the engine harness. Will be removing the knock sensor plug and wiring etc. too. More fun!

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Just put new TFI module, ECT sensor, 192* thermostat, and 2 gauge positive battery cable and it runs even better, BUT the miss is still there with the spout in. Going to buy new negative battery cable tomorrow....$46!!! Ouch!

Started to remove the egr sensor plug and wiring from the engine harness. Will be removing the knock sensor plug and wiring etc. too. More fun!
Sounds Like you're makeing progress...that great! Maybe you've seen it(different thread) ?...another found a exhaust leak that was messing with the O2 sensor making it run poorly...just a thought.

I made my ground cable from a one off graden tractor/ tractor...it was plently long...just put new ends on....$46 :shok:

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
IMriched, Thanks for the input!

Dang timing mark still jumps around with the spout in. Bought the battery cable tonight on way home from work. Got exhaust leak to fix still, it all takes alot of time.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Changed the negative battery cable and it runs even a tiny bit better....maybe. Spark scatter with the spout in is still there! FYI, NAPA (Belden) auto parts #: 717914, 4 gauge wire 39" length, for top mount battery post. SKU #: 632024256653.

I'm thinkin the EEC-IV unit is bad...

Last edited:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Changed the negative battery cable and it runs even a tiny bit better....maybe.

I'm thinkin the EEC-IV unit is bad...
What makes you think that the EEC-IV is bad? just curious as to your reasonings

maybe get the exhuast leak corrected 1st...then see

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
...maybe get the exhuast leak corrected 1st...then see
very minor leak. Replaced spout connector (ford p/n E53Z-14489-C........for 1988 2.9Liter) and no change in spark scatter.

I say it's down to the computer and/or the wiring harness....since everything else hasn't completely fixed it.

Last edited:

np24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the 95 code you are getting is because ford changed the wiring in 88 vs 87. in 88, theres a wire from the fuel pump relay to the ecm, on the pump side of the relay. i have an 87 running an 88 ecm and get the same code. i never got around to fixing it.
i'm gonna be pulling the entire harness out to run a new one for megasquirt. i can't wait to be able to tune it myself. i just gotta wait for the weather to clear up a lil around here, we got 8" of snow last night.

the hunting for an idle and spark scatter, i get that too. i just figured that its a ford thing. 14mpg is better than me. i'm getting 10, i've been driving my neon more cuz of it. i would fix it, but its not worth it to throw parts into it, if i'm just gonna change it all out.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
np24, THANK YOU for the wiring info!!! :beer:

Sounds like changing to an 88 engine bay harness may fix my code problem...or I could wire it in.

My idle speed is fine after changing out my IAC, but yeah it still has the dang spark scattter. I have to fix it to pass smog.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Need to swap my computer and see if this fixes my spark scatter....could this be caused by an intake manifold vacuum leak???

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Any kind of vacuum leak will make things run irratic...but pretty sure you know this.
some are easier to find is all. A gasket maybe slipped a bit..who knows... whether it's on the upper intake or the lower intake or any one of the hoses gaskets.

does it run better or worse after fully up to operating temp? what is the outside temp when it is running well and vis-versa?

sorry not much help...just more things to concider...hope you get ironed out

Branger2B

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/86
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Richard, thanks for the advice...need to check it out but gotta get my sspark scatter fixed first so I can pass smog referee. Replaced distributor with a rrebuilt and it has a good bit more power and is smoother. But, the spark scatter is STILL THERE! I heard the spout connector plug has a resistor in it and sometimes they go bad causing this problem? Ohmed it and it is 0.2ohms....pulled spare out of my spare harness and it ohmed same. Swapped it out just to see. Didn't have time to put a timing light on it and it's cold and pouring rain all night. Guess we'll see how it drives toomorrow. BTW, idle is a bit high now at about 1000 RPM.
try checking the gap on your spark plugs. mine had the same pinging under throttle. happened right after i installed new plugs. and i didnt even know to gap them. when you buy them new they need to be measured with a tool before they re installed.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It was a bad TPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God, I finally got it figuered out! Just need to fix my slight exhaust leak around the manifolds now and it should be good to go for smog referee!

Last edited:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
It was a bad TPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God, I finally got it figuered out! Just need to fix my slight exhaust leak around the manifolds now and it should be good to go for smog referee!
WAAHOOO...PTL. Glad you figured it out!!! SO now your timing isn't hunting with the spout in?? or not nearly as much anyway. IS there a different TPS for later models with out the EGR 88'>??

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Will re-check this weekend but it was all good last weekend! Autozone.com lists the same TPS for 1987 and 1988....and it seems to be working fine. I had several spares and out of four TPS, only one was good.

Now it looks like I'll be off the the wreckers for a 1988 manual trans 2.9L California 4x4 Ranger EECIV to engine wiring harness to swap out to get my 95 code to stop popping up!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals