• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pilot Bearing NEED HELP

Initialjoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups
So I was just pulling out the transmission this evening to do a clutch job when I came across a problem with the pilot bearing. I couldn't find it. I have a new one and know where to press it in so i tried but it only goes in a little ways before stopping (See pictures). I thought maybe the other bearing is melted in there....but I don't see any ripped metal or signs of one.

I'm stumped and need my truck by the weekend. What should I do?

I have a 1994 Ranger 2.3L Manual

Initialjoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups
Also, I know this is my first post, but I have been reading the forums (before signing up) for a few months now. Very helpful place.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I suspect the outer race of the disintegrated pilot bearing is still in there. A small triangle file and a careful groove should get it out. Or perhaps a sharp punch and work it behind the race to collapse it into the center.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep! A good picture of the old pilot bearing in there. Now how to get it out!
I get bearing grease and completely fill the hole with grease. Then I get a rod that exactly fits the inside of that bearing. Next I get my BFH and give the rod a whack. That rod shoving rapidly into the hole pushes the grease against the inside sides of the bearing and OUT IT COMES!

That is the ONLY way I know of to get it out!
Big Jim

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ yes, I've done that with sintered bronze bushings. It works well. Probably best to try that way first. I wasn't thinking on my previous post. I've even used a tree branch whittled to the right diameter in a late night thrash.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, a wooden dowel will do it, too. If that doesn't get it out the next step is to grind/cut it on two sides (Dremel tool??). That race is very very hard metal and has to be fractured (it will not bend). Don't cut into the crank.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
another trick is to run a tap into the hole and try to make some threads in it, if you have a set of big taps.
when I did the 05 there was enough outer race left that I was able put a big bolt (5/8?) into the hole, pulled it down to bind, then hammered the bolt to extract it.

Perry

Buggyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I had something similar happen to me about 5 years ago. I was swapping a new (used) motor into my 1998 Ranger and put a new clutch in while I had it apart. I ended up renting a tool from a auto parts store and it took less than 20 seconds to have it out after spending hours the previous day trying everything to extract it. Not sure if that helps any but this is what the tool looks like.

Attachments

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I suspect the outer race of the disintegrated pilot bearing is still in there. A small triangle file and a careful groove should get it out. Or perhaps a sharp punch and work it behind the race to collapse it into the center.
another trick is to run a tap into the hole and try to make some threads in it, if you have a set of big taps.
when I did the 05 there was enough outer race left that I was able put a big bolt (5/8?) into the hole, pulled it down to bind, then hammered the bolt to extract it.

Perry
This is a hardened bearing race. You're never going to cut it with a file or a tap. You can grind it away with abrasives, but you can't machine it with cutting tools. If the bearing cooked, it may have softened the steel, but you'll never be able to tell before the point where you're already going to be breaking the cutting edges of your tools.

The hydraulic method (grease + rod) works really well if there's no other passage for the grease to go out. A puller and slide hammer works okay, too; that's what I used on my wheel bearings.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Spott!
Are you sure about that being a race? I'm sure there may be one somewhere but I have NEVER seen it where ever it is.
All I have ever seen are simple sintered bronze bearings.
As for the puller, I have never seen one like that although I know for sure there should be such. I'll have to get me one of those! Should keep grease off of my shirt!
Big Jim

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Rent a blind hole bearing puller. Makes the job very easy.

Sent from my iPhone

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Spott!
Are you sure about that being a race? I'm sure there may be one somewhere but I have NEVER seen it where ever it is.
As for the puller, I have never seen one like that although I know for sure there should be such. I'll have to get me one of those! Should keep grease off of my shirt!
Big Jim
Take another look at the first picture. I think that is a pic of the new bearing pushed up against the old. Looks kinda like a race to me. But, I never had a modern (post 90) pilot bearing in my hand.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
This is a hardened bearing race. You're never going to cut it with a file or a tap. You can grind it away with abrasives, but you can't machine it with cutting tools. If the bearing cooked, it may have softened the steel, but you'll never be able to tell before the point where you're already going to be breaking the cutting edges of your tools.

The hydraulic method (grease + rod) works really well if there's no other passage for the grease to go out. A puller and slide hammer works okay, too; that's what I used on my wheel bearings.

the outer shell is the race, its not so hard that it can't be cut with a good file or tap.
however, its really hard to file to file anything in that tight space. a dremel or moto-tool would be ok.

to the OP, clean up the end of the tranny shaft. its probably all chewed up from the needles failing.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Spott!
Big Jim
You're probably right, now that you mention it.

Forgive me, a lot of my experience is in the bicycle industry, where something called a "bearing" always has hardened steel balls/rollers/needles inside hardened steel races, and solid bronze or plastic pieces are called "bushings". I'm slowly unlearning that, and learning the proper machinist/mechanic terminology.

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The top pic showed the PB with needle bearings. The PB for the Rat came out easily I started a sheet rock screw into the bearing cage and grabbed that with a pair of vise grips. White bread , about 4 slices. wadded up and rammed in with a dowel and a SFH will shift the PB too. The traditional PB is a bronze bushing. I watched my brother make one out of a piece of bronze stock on a lathe for his '56 Chevy More modern engines used needle bearings. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals