• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pics wanted - 1st/2nd gen pulled bedsides

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'm sure a lot of you guys are on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and other media sites that I'm not on. I'm sure in this day and age of social media, there has to be a ton of pics out there of people pulling bedsides. I've done a Google image search until I was blue in the face. I figured maybe you have better access than I do to social media, so....

I'm looking for pictures of 1st gen Rangers with pulled bedsides. 2nd gen as well I suppose..

I've been thinking about getting my 87 a little lower. Nothing crazy but just enough to change the look a little. With the rear rims I have, I'll have to pull the bedsides slightly and roll the inner lip a little to avoid rubbing. I'm NOT about to narrow my rear axle.

So, if you've got some pictures of 1st or 2nd gen Rangers only, and especially shortbed 2wd trucks, with the bedsides pulled, then please post them up!

This is the only clear picture I've been able to find so far and it's not at the best angle, and he's got it flexed out, and it's a 4x4, so...

GB :)

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm sure a lot of you guys are on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and other media sites that I'm not on. I'm sure in this day and age of social media, there has to be a ton of pics out there of people pulling bedsides. I've done a Google image search until I was blue in the face. I figured maybe you have better access than I do to social media, so....

I'm looking for pictures of 1st gen Rangers with pulled bedsides. 2nd gen as well I suppose..

I've been thinking about getting my 87 a little lower. Nothing crazy but just enough to change the look a little. With the rear rims I have, I'll have to pull the bedsides slightly and roll the inner lip a little to avoid rubbing. I'm NOT about to narrow my rear axle.

So, if you've got some pictures of 1st or 2nd gen Rangers only, and especially shortbed 2wd trucks, with the bedsides pulled, then please post them up!

This is the only clear picture I've been able to find so far and it's not at the best angle, and he's got it flexed out, and it's a 4x4, so...

GB :)
That looks like former member " sloue",s truck.
I'm sure I've seen an article or build thread on pulling bedsides. It didn't look too difficult but IIRC there was oilcanning of the metal. Seem to remember they used a hydraulic jack to push out the bedsides?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
That looks like former member " sloue",s truck.
I'm sure I've seen an article or build thread on pulling bedsides. It didn't look too difficult but IIRC there was oilcanning of the metal. Seem to remember they used a hydraulic jack to push out the bedsides?
I'm 100% sure I can do it with good results. I'd also be moving them very little. I'm just looking for as many pictures as I can get before I decide to do the mod.

Oh and your memory is just bizarre man. I can't remember what I did yesterday. That's his username for sure.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm 100% sure I can do it with good results. I'd also be moving them very little. I'm just looking for as many pictures as I can get before I decide to do the mod.

Oh and your memory is just bizarre man. I can't remember what I did yesterday. That's his username for sure.
I could remember his truck, I had to go back into my build thread to look up his name. He helped quite a bit when I was building my Race truck.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Anyone? Bueller?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I only have the vaguest idea of this even is? How's it done? Looks like the bedside is stretched out?

Thinking it might be a great way to fix my lack of small fender flares.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
You typically cut the metal plate underneath the wheel well that holds the outer bedside panel to the inner panel, and remove the metal support straps holding the bedsides from vibrating, then use some plywood to spread the load from some small bottle jacks. Then you'd weld some small pieces of steel across the gap in the plate you cut in half earlier. (under the wheel well)

The straps will also have to be extended before bolting them back up again.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Not sure if there are any around still of mine.....front fenders are stepped out and rears were typical pull.

Trs 2 has pulled bed sides.....now that I am thinking about it....I seen the new plates I brought home to re do them were on the floor when we were working on my sons 125 before I left for work today....damn it....one more thing that needs done.....

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'd love to see some first gen 2wd street trucks with it done. So far, I've only seen one street truck and it was lowered a good amount, but it was a newer generation of Ranger.

I figured in the modern day and age of social media that someone had seen a few on there by now.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

only thing i see with profile you can see.....obviously your openings will remain stock...but you can bulge some sticky wide fatties under there for wheelies if you want them....

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Here you can see my wheel/tire combo on the rear:

rear tires are 275/40-17

thumbnail (73).jpg
thumbnail (72).jpg
thumbnail (63).jpg

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
looks perfect to me. unless you have to drive down dirt roads...

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I get no rubbing right now, even with a decent load in the bed or driving the truck very aggressively around curves, but if I want to lower it a small amount the inside lip of the bedside will cut in to the tire.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
can you roll it? i guess it is too wide like it is if you go lower.

roll em and pull them 1/2 in to an inch will likely get them tucked and plenty of room to even auto x and still look great. i would bet most people would not even know they were pulled out an inch.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Yeah, that's one of the hard things to judge. How much some of the bedsides were pulled out just going by pictures on the net..

Just rolling the lip wouldn't be enough.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals