• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Picking ATV Tires

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've got an '05 YFZ450 thats about due for some new rears and was looking into Maxxis razr's and ITP holeshot's. I'm in ca and I mainly ride on hard pack. does anyone have experience with these tires?

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
honestly im not a maxxis fan at all. i ONLY run holeshot's on my quads. personally my favorite tire ever is the holeshot gncc but it's not for hardpack. if i were you id look into the original holeshot or the HD if youre looking for more durability (but it comes at a price, very heavy) and good all-around performance. if you run on really really hardpack stuff you might want to look into the quadcross tires.

stay away from the SR's they corner like crap, and avoid the xct's as well- you might as well just run marshmallows....

the xcr's look and sound really sweet but i've never ran em. if youre into motocross (i.e. running an 18" rear) the mxr's are amazing...

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
You need to just ditch the hard pack and the Holeshots, get a set of Skat-Trak Haulers and head on out to Glamis or Dumonts since your in CA!! :icon_thumby:

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've already got a full set of scat trak haulers haha and those are good to go. I've been told by too many people to go with the holeshots so I'm probably going to. I just see so many people riding on the maxxis tires I wanted to know why thats all I see but I've got my mind set on the holeshots

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Give those Holeshots a shot! :icon_thumby:

Both of my Banshee's ride on sand tires only. My dirt tires are only for storage. Sorry im not much of a help when it comes to picking tires!

DangerRanger~91

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2006
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have the original holeshot tires on my 09 kfx450r and love them!

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
dont get the maxxis! they have to be the shittiest tire ive ever used

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I looked at the holeshot HD's and the standard holeshots and I'm leaning more towards the HD's but I have another quad related question but it's more mechanical and I have absolutely no clue what happened or how to fix it. So last night I tore apart my dads '06 LTR 450 to put in a shift pin relocator. these quads had the common problem of the case with the pin inside the engine would snap and wouldnt pop the shift lever back in place after shifting. I had to take of the whole right side of the engine to get to it which involved taking out the clutch pack, clutch basket, and all of that stuff including oil and coolant. Once I put the part in before I put anything back together my dad pulled in the clutch to see if the part worked; the part works but now that he pulled in the clutch the clutch it just loose. the handle it absolutely floppy, it's almost like it's just the handle with no cable there isn't any resistance and it move any direction freely. I don't know what happened or how to fix it. any help will be great

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
nevermind about the other post I figured it out

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
I know I'm late to the party but I can't help it. I'm in the exact opposite boat as far as Maxxis vs. ITP. I hate ITP lol. Every time I tried a set I got flats and the lugs would end up torn to bits. That was in GNCC's and hare scrambles(20" rear), the MX ITP's would blister up after a day in hard pack and always felt squirrely especially in choppy sections to me. I've always run Razr2's front and Razr's rear for woods and RazrMX's for the track and they gave me great traction and feel, no flats, and they lasted twice as long. But as in everything your results may vary. For that matter if all else fails a set of titan turf tamers work awesome on hardpack to blue groove and they're so cheap it doesn't matter when you blister a set per race lol. Good luck and sorry for the late .02

squirrelracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Well I run irazr's on the front (doesnt make huge difference up front, just helps bicycling), and I usually run ITP Mud Lites (20") on the rear as I do mud, but I recently took the rear wheels and tires off of our parts Honda fourtrax 350, so now my 400ex has 24" tires on 11" rims hahahahaha! That added a couple mph!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals