• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Photography?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Photography is a huge hobby of mine. Am I the only one around here? I take pictures of trains, flowers, sunsets, landscapes, and clouds.

So, question for the masses: How many others around here enjoy photography as a hobby? Would anybody else be interested in a forum for us to show off our work, share tips, and learn from each other about our craft?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like it too, we have a photography section if you want to post some pics.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I like it too, we have a photography section if you want to post some pics.
Nice. Good thing I didn't send Jim a PM asking him to create one, eh? :) I found it, way down the list, so I'll take a browse through.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like photography. Did a lot of it until my last camera began wearing out, and I wasn't able to even think about a new one then, so just kept using it as it was, sometimes going great trouble just getting it to snap a shot.
I also enjoyed nature shots, and take long walks through our woods to look for a shot of a deer or wild hog, wolf, great horned owl, snakes, just whatever.
Posted on Wunderground a while but got tired of their grading system and stopped posting there.
I'm currently looking for a decent, and not too expensive camera, but the ones I've looked at locally (walmart) are really no better than the one I bought 12 or 14 years ago, seems they've spent more time working on adding wifi, bluetooth and other things I have no interest in, than in fixing or improving the camera's quality, such as quicker shots, better zoom, and less distortion.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Hey, y'all. Sorry I'm late to the party here. Yes. Photography is one of my hobbies. I do a lot of nature photography, pix of my dogs and whatever else looks interesting. It fell off a good bit over the past few years since my wife's health didn't allow us to travel much. Hoping to get back into the swing of things after I finish settling into my new house. Generally, the camera goes where I go.

I haven't ventured into the photography section of TRS in a while. The photo of the day thread shows excellent talent in some of our members here.

I'm also a member of a site called red bubble.com that gives photographers a place to show and sell their work. I need to update my presence there.

Dsetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just moved all my film photo equipment around- preparing the house for our first born.
I sure would like to get a developing room set up in my shop to get back into it.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Just moved all my film photo equipment around- preparing the house for our first born.
I sure would like to get a developing room set up in my shop to get back into it.
You have my permission. Go for it.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I like photography. Did a lot of it until my last camera began wearing out, and I wasn't able to even think about a new one then, so just kept using it as it was, sometimes going great trouble just getting it to snap a shot.
I also enjoyed nature shots, and take long walks through our woods to look for a shot of a deer or wild hog, wolf, great horned owl, snakes, just whatever.
Posted on Wunderground a while but got tired of their grading system and stopped posting there.
I'm currently looking for a decent, and not too expensive camera, but the ones I've looked at locally (walmart) are really no better than the one I bought 12 or 14 years ago, seems they've spent more time working on adding wifi, bluetooth and other things I have no interest in, than in fixing or improving the camera's quality, such as quicker shots, better zoom, and less distortion.
The last camera I bought was in 2009. It was good for its' time, 10.0 megapixel. My iPhone 8 has a better camera, though. I haven't looked into buying a new camera in years, but that's because I always have my phone, and as I said, my phone has a pretty good camera.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The last camera I bought was in 2009. It was good for its' time, 10.0 megapixel. My iPhone 8 has a better camera, though. I haven't looked into buying a new camera in years, but that's because I always have my phone, and as I said, my phone has a pretty good camera.

My phone isn't quite that good, besides that, my favorite option on a camera is the viewfinder, which precious few cameras even have these days. They clearly are not trying to make them better, just more lucrative for themselves.

The megapixels really aren't that important to me either, they really don't add clarity as much as a good optical lens will do.

I'm just having a hek of a time trying to find one that I even like, and the price of a new truck isn't exactly what I'd be willing to pay, for a simply decent and usable camera. I guess it's just hard on old folks like me, haha, I don't even care to have wifi :/

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One thing that really burns me about my phone is it is a PITA to get anything off my phone and onto my computer. To the point it is easier to upload to Flickr and then download to my computer.

With my camera I just pop out the SD card and pop it in the 'puter and it is all right there.

I am on my second Iphone and they have both been turds in that regard. Now it sounds like the non-Iphone phones are going away from having memory cards too. It looked like I was using a baked potato for a camera but my flip phone blew them away in that regard.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
One thing that really burns me about my phone is it is a PITA to get anything off my phone and onto my computer. To the point it is easier to upload to Flickr and then download to my computer.

With my camera I just pop out the SD card and pop it in the 'puter and it is all right there.

I am on my second Iphone and they have both been turds in that regard. Now it sounds like the non-Iphone phones are going away from having memory cards too. It looked like I was using a baked potato for a camera but my flip phone blew them away in that regard.
Just plug the phone into the computer, go to "my computer," click on your phone and the pictures are there in one of the folders. Just copy/past the folder to your computer.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

You on Windows? Two things you need to do. First, on your phone, in settings -> iCloud, turn on photos. Your photos will, when you are on wifi, upload to your iCloud account. Second, on your computer, install iCloud Control Panel. It will automatically download photos from your iCloud account to your computer. NOTE: The first time, you may have to download manually, that's easy to do.

Just plug the phone into the computer, go to "my computer," click on your phone and the pictures are there in one of the folders. Just copy/past the folder to your computer.
I seem to recall that working up to Windows 7. On 10, it no longer works. Or, maybe it's that on the newer iPhones it no longer works. I don't remember where the change was, but I do remember that it used to work, and no longer does. iCloud Control Panel now does that for you, without needing to connect your phone to your computer.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
You on Windows? Two things you need to do. First, on your phone, in settings -> iCloud, turn on photos. Your photos will, when you are on wifi, upload to your iCloud account. Second, on your computer, install iCloud Control Panel. It will automatically download photos from your iCloud account to your computer. NOTE: The first time, you may have to download manually, that's easy to do.

I seem to recall that working up to Windows 7. On 10, it no longer works. Or, maybe it's that on the newer iPhones it no longer works. I don't remember where the change was, but I do remember that it used to work, and no longer does. iCloud Control Panel now does that for you, without needing to connect your phone to your computer.
Still works with Android phones. Don't let apple control your life.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That seems about as convenient as what I do now.
Still works with Android phones. Don't let apple control your life.
That is why I neutered the stupid icloud thing.

I take a lot of pics at work. Mainly broken farm equipment and serial number tags for when I get back to my computer to look up parts. It started freaking wanting me to pay money to backup all these more or less worthless photos and put them on my computer. So I back up the ones that are worth backing up on Flicker which I also use for remote hosting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals