• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Petition for small diesel vehicles

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i am disappointed, only 25. :(

lets get to 25,000!

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you know what .......

Diesels are finicky and needy...... think back to that insane clingy girlfriend that tried to monopolize your time. For a full size its fine but I got no desire to deal with a modern diesel with its crappy fuel system components in anything smaller than a crew cab dually. I would rather just be able to slap a set of plugs in and engine and go.

Diesel reliability peaked from '95 - '03 thanks to the EPA and the cost of ownwership is just too damn high for a daily driver.

but I am going to sign it anyways because I think I should atleast have the choice.

luke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i singed it, but i will sign anything that helps restore freedom.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Diesels don't even require that much to maintain. at least my dads 04 doesn't. only used 2 sets of tires since new, oil changes at 7500, U-Joints a few times, general maintenance ...etc. and it's a dodge.

he hasn't done anything major to it yet and it has 173k on it.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Diesels don't even require that much to maintain. at least my dads 04 doesn't. only used 2 sets of tires since new, oil changes at 7500, U-Joints a few times, general maintenance ...etc. and it's a dodge.

he hasn't done anything major to it yet and it has 173k on it.

wait till that egr valve fails, or he gets contaminated fuel, about 9 grand to replace the HPFP and injectors..... although the CP3 pump is decent..... its not really the engines....... the fuel systems do not get along with the new fuel.

and those small euro diesels are really finicky....... CRD Liberty anyone?

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Diesels are more practical as far as im concerned, guy down the street from me says he has a ford diesel with 500k on it ( mechanic maintained) not saying i trust him but i have no reason not to believe him

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
i singed it, but i will sign anything that helps restore freedom.
Freedom? How about the freedom to put something on the market based on how much money and demand there is for the product.

The EPA killed any chance of them going into widespread use...

luke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Freedom? How about the freedom to put something on the market based on how much money and demand there is for the product.

The EPA killed any chance of them going into widespread use...
i know, the US is one of the only countries in the world where diesel is MORE expensive then gas! diesel is cheaper to make AND more efficient than gas! and you can use the "bio diesel" in the same engines with little modification i think. but the EPA feels they have to throw their weight around and enact strict emissions laws so they can take your tax money is what it is! THEM BUNCH'O HIPPIE LIBERAL TREE HUGGERS!:pissedoff:

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The new 2011 diesel in the truck we have at work constantly surprises me(2100 duramax 4wd dually). We have not found a way to make it black smoke yet, not even uphill while towing. The only issue is the stupid diesel exhaust fluid system. If you run out you are limited to 55 mph. You run out about every 3k miles. Luckily DEF Is cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
wait till something breaks.

don't get me wrong, I am not bashing diesels.... I have 2 of them......

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I keep reading "until it breaks" but how often does a diesel break compared to a gas engine? I know the injection pumps are expensive but after that its about the same price. I would take diesel over gas in any vehicle, over all it makes more sense.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
depends on the engine.......

Volkswagen is not with out their problems either. you cannot ignore the maintenance on a diesel. I can buy a V10 long block for what the injectors cost on my 7.3L 'stroke.

I have yet to see one of these 2010 compliant engines that are worth a damn.... and its not the engines... its the fuel systems and emission systems.

The advantages to diesel was that it was a simple design and designed to run all day with out a break, some applications even designed to run years with out being shut off. This is no longer the case.... thanks to the epa they are no longer simple.... and they are no longer durable. If its being used in a commercial application then diesel is the way to go but for the average end user diesel is problematic and not intended for driving a mile to the corner store on a beer run no matter how its marketed.

I can buy a dually with a V10, get an exhaust, get a 5 start economy/towing tune and get the same mileage as my 'stroke on a cheaper fuel.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Diesels are more practical as far as im concerned, guy down the street from me says he has a ford diesel with 500k on it ( mechanic maintained) not saying i trust him but i have no reason not to believe him
Few vehicles will go for that long anyway.

Our Explorer was swiss cheese by 180k, engine still ran fine but the very straight and never dented body was so full of cancer I don't know how many more miles it had in it.

A modern fuel injected engine is very well capable of outliving the host vehicle as it is.

I have a customer that likes to brag up his early '90's Cummins Ram with 300k miles. Eventually you will get out of him he has had the pump gone through three times and the head off twice.

I keep reading "until it breaks" but how often does a diesel break compared to a gas engine? I know the injection pumps are expensive but after that its about the same price. I would take diesel over gas in any vehicle, over all it makes more sense.
Gas takes less engine oil, fairly cheap fuel pumps, a good fuel filter only costs double digits and it only takes one, cheaper air filter and oil filter....

Diesels were originally smoking pigs that only had economy going for them vs a gas engine, when it was optional in tractors the diesel always had more cubes to compete with the gas counterpart. It wasn't until they put boost to them that they started to perk up and then they direct injected them to make them come to life. Compared to the NA indirect injected gas engine they darn well should be better.

IMO the typical modern diesel is playing by the same rules as only very few gassers play... like the Ecoboost. And I have heard rumors that Ford has been toying with an Ecoboost 6.2 for when the EPA finally gets diesels priced out of the market.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals