• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Permanently cover cowl vent...

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Probably a unique situation...just looking for opinions on how one might accomplish this. I have an 86 ranger that I'm basically turning into a "hot rod" build. I'm gutting everything that isn't essential, including the entire HVAC box and all the vents except defrost,which I'll hook a small electric heater to. I want to permanently cover my cowl vent under the windshield. I know I could just cut it out and have someone weld sheet metal in its place. I'm thinking Bondo would crack. Has anyone done this, or think they have a good idea on how to?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I haven’t noticed anyone doing it. I agree that bondo probably won’t hold up long term and access to the bottom side of the cowl isn’t great. Cutting and welding might be the best option.

One thing to consider is air flow. Without the cowl vent, good air exchange in the cab might be a problem unless you plan to address that in other ways.

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I haven’t noticed anyone doing it. I agree that bondo probably won’t hold up long term and access to the bottom side of the cowl isn’t great. Cutting and welding might be the best option.

One thing to consider is air flow. Without the cowl vent, good air exchange in the cab might be a problem unless you plan to address that in other ways.
My biggest concern is without the HVAC box, the cab would be exposed to pretty much anything that comes through the vent. As far as air exchange, I'd probably just use my vent windows unless it's raining or something. Idk what the best solution is.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You should be able to make a panel to cover the hole in the engine bay. I don’t think, but I don’t know for sure, that the box doesn’t protrude into the cab. I think it gives a place for the condenser to be. The heater core might be in there as well but it’s been a good while since I’ve worked on a Ranger that didn’t have A/C. I may remember incorrectly that even the non A/C equipped Rangers had a protrusion into the engine bay.

Since you are talking about removing both, you should be able to just block off the hole in the fire wall and be able to leave the cowl vent alone.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’m drawing a blank on the member’s name but there is at least one other guy that has a Ranger rigged for racing and I believe they have a build thread in the mini truck forum about it.

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You should be able to make a panel to cover the hole in the engine bay. I don’t think, but I don’t know for sure, that the box doesn’t protrude into the cab. I think it gives a place for the condenser to be. The heater core might be in there as well but it’s been a good while since I’ve worked on a Ranger that didn’t have A/C. I may remember incorrectly that even the non A/C equipped Rangers had a protrusion into the engine bay.

Since you are talking about removing both, you should be able to just block off the hole in the fire wall and be able to leave the cowl vent alone.
With the inner and outer box removed, there are 2 big holes that I can easily cover with sheet metal and seal them off. But there's still a hole under the dash area where the cowl vent area dumps, I don't have a picture of that. I could probably seal it off there, but then I think the cowl area wouldn't be able to drain and may cause rust problems, idk for sure

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’m trying to find the member I have in mind so you can check out what he did with his. Harder with a phone than a computer.

EDIT: I can’t find him. He’s featured on the 2020 calendar. I’ll have to look up the name and go from there.

Last edited:

Dlillie87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m trying to find the member I have in mind so you can check out what he did with his. Harder with a phone than a computer.
I appreciate your time, thanks

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
for the cowl vents, can you use something from a wrangler? not sure if the size is close enough but lots of wranglers have covers or scoops over their cowl vents because of lack of air flow or water intrusion, different issues and such. maybe it would fit? try googling it? maybe two, one for each side?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Remove the inspection plates on the firewall, that will give you access to the back side of the cowl, i.e. windshield wiper access

You should be able to insert sheet metal pieces and screw them in place from the top side, silicone seal it
Then bondo

Would cutting cowl out and welding a new piece in be better, yes

Yes, the fresh air vent is located under the cowl right above the fan hole in engine bay
Just below that, in the cab, was the "re-circulation" vent door, it closed the Fresh air vent off and opened inside cab air vent, this was used for MAX AC but also on dusty roads so no outside air came in but you still could have fan on
Since you are not going to use the factory fan then you don't need to do anything really
If you can reach into the cowl area far enough you could try to seal off the fresh air intake, or do it thru the fan hole before you seal it up

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
That is who I was thinking of. Thanks!
Not sure exactly what the previous owner did the firewall on our Ranger but I think the openings are just covered with sheetmetal.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It looks like they are there, inline with each wiper knob, thats what they are there for, to access/service wipers
You can see the indented part of the plates in the picture

Center of engine bay top(behind the hose), and drivers side next to inner fender, right inline with driverside wiper knob

The heater box holes have sheet metal cover

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I used a Vintage Air system because my truck was formerly drag raced and the HVAC was missing. Vintage doesn't use outside air, they just recirculate so I blocked the air inlet under the right side of the dash with sheet metal and seam sealer. Vintage Air is in Texas, they couldn't understand why I'd want to draw outside air into my truck. I guess they never had to clear a fogged windshield on a 40 degree rainy day.
evap in place.JPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals