• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Performance Packages for the Ford Ranger

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I figured the red hooks would cost at least $3 or $3.50 more...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
4wd isn't even a strict requirement for a snowy climate honestly.

I've been driving rwds through Maine winters for the majority of a decade now, and I can count the number of times that snow halted my travel exactly once.. And it was my fault (bald tires way too far into the fall, when we'll usually get a surprise storm that'll drop 8-10)

Weight and snow tires (being prepared..) is all the average person needs. Disabling traction control helps enormously also, as the ability to gain and maintain momentum without a computer saying "NO!" at the first hint of wheelspin is paramount.
You are not wrong. There have been numerous times I was getting around just fine and often better the those around me with RWD and a good set of tires. Traction control is the devil and should shut off ASAP when the road conditions are bad.

njdriver02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Jeep gladiator has electronic swap bar disconnects on the rubicon .. fancy

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think some of the Wranglers have that too. I've always been kinda curious how that works.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
4wd isn't even a strict requirement for a snowy climate honestly.

I've been driving rwds through Maine winters for the majority of a decade now, and I can count the number of times that snow halted my travel exactly once.. And it was my fault (bald tires way too far into the fall, when we'll usually get a surprise storm that'll drop 8-10)

Weight and snow tires (being prepared..) is all the average person needs. Disabling traction control helps enormously also, as the ability to gain and maintain momentum without a computer saying "NO!" at the first hint of wheelspin is paramount.
A lot of people say that... I used to say that too... until I bought a Tacoma 4x4 in 1993. Day and night difference over rwd.

Your statement was true decades ago. Today's ifs 4x4's ride so nice and handle so good, there really is no reason to not buy one if you live in a climate where snow is a reality.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You can get by without 4X4, or AWD for that matter. Once you get one with either and properly equip it for the winter, there is no comparison.

Since I normally am on the way to work before the snow plows are out, it has saved my bacon a few times. Especially one time when we had a flash freeze.

As long as you respect it’s limitations (it helps you go better and to some degree steer better) and realize you still have the same stopping limitation that a similarly equipped RWD has, you’ll be fine.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Meh. I drove a lifted Subaru with 29" snowtires during winter for years. For 3 or 4 of them I had an electronically controlled center diff that could "infinitely" split power from 30/70 f/r to 50/50 at the roll of a dial.

It was a beast in the snow. Absolute beast. The cyclones it would do in 50/50 would make you feel ill. It'd plow through snow til it's just about rolling over the hood with no problem. Most fun car I've ever owned. I even vividly remember being a huge awd elitist at the time and claiming I'll never not daily drive something that's awd again.

BUT... I came to my senses lol. My 2wd ranger does me just as good with snowtires and a lil weight.

The reason not to buy a 4x4 if you live where it snows.. And it's no small reason.. Is that it could just be a big fat waste of multiple thousands of dollars. It would be in my case, as well as at least 80% of people im sure.

It's not only the up front cost either, but there's oodles more parts to maintain on a 4wd/awd afterwards, and your going to take a sizeable hit to fuel efficiency.

The only reason I'd buy a 4x4 would be to turn it into a more or less dedicated offroader.

With the money I saved from buying the unwanted "useless in snow" 2wd pickup over it's 4x4 counterpart.. I could buy a whole 'nother truck just for that purpose.

The 200 gallons of fuel I'd save a year driving my 2wd could be turned into fun parts for my toy 4x4

As with anything it's all perspective and situation I guess. If it's absolutely necessary for an individual to drive through an amount of snow that would render a 2wd vehicle that's equipped for it useless.. Then there's no question. They'll want a 4x4. Or a snowmobile.

For everyone else.. Like I said.. It's probably just a waste of a substantial amount of money.

BUT.. Flatlanders who never drive on dirt or in snow or even haul anything bigger than the weekly load of groceries buy 60-70-80k dollar 4x4 pickups and immideately spend another 10k on suspension/wheels/tires just so they're more desirable to vapid women who fall for such insecure vanity outside the local mall.. So.. Obviously people don't mind wasting money lol.

The lengths people will stretch their "logic" to justify useless nonsense is absolutely astounding. Luckily for the reasonable, this makes the bastardized 2wd pickup way cheaper.

In maine you can pretty much buy 2 identical rwd rangers for the price of one otherwise identical 4x4 lol (obviously talking 2011 and older)

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
I just got my ranger back from dealer after buying the ford performance procal programmer and having them install it. says comes with three year warranty if done through ford dealer. Programmer form ford was $825 and $200 to install. It also comes with a K&N air filter included with it. still playing with it, been busy. Only put about 25 miles on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals