• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Performance Chips

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Anybody had any experience with performance chips on the (94) 2.3? I have read conflicting info. Some said no difference and others said more HP, torque and MPG. I wonder if the increases were "in fact" or a "hopeful perception". Any info appreciated.
Danny

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I put one in one of our race trucks several years ago.A 94 2.3 with a little work done to it.I ran the truck right around 58-6000 and didn't really notce a difference up there.The guy I sold the truck to ran a different line on the track then I did and was dropping down to 49-5000 on the corners and he said that it pulled better off with it then without.I guess if I could find a used one i would try it(I paid $50 for mine)but for the cost for a new one,better spots to spend your money for better results,a good cam will be a better investment

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply 4b316. I noticed them on ebay for 29.95 and there were some folks that thought that the chips were great and others thought, as you, there's better places to spend your money. I don't run anywhere near 5-6K RPM. Just (still) trying to get the best overall performance.
Danny

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
got a link to that e-bay item danny? it could be one of those gimmics for 30 bux. I wouldn't buy it, just want to see what it is.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
unless you spend real money (200+) its probably a resistor that you hook up to the MAF. It dosn't work.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
thats what i was thinking. I think it hooks up to the intake air temp sensor though.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That's how the ones I've read about were designed.

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes,all that is is a resistor.It will work and give you a little more power but the problem is that ,a ranger computor"learns"over awhile that something is different and will bring the circuit back to baseline where it belongs.You can overcome this by unhooking the battery every 4-5 days and letting the ECM go back to its own base but that gets old in a hurry.We overcame it on the race truck by putting in a master switch and shutting off the power every week.If you want to do it just go to radio shack and get a resistor,somewheres it says how many olms you want$3-4.Not the best thing.Save your money and buy a cam

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes,all that is is a resistor.It will work and give you a little more power but the problem is that ,a ranger computor"learns"over awhile that something is different and will bring the circuit back to baseline where it belongs.You can overcome this by unhooking the battery every 4-5 days and letting the ECM go back to its own base but that gets old in a hurry.We overcame it on the race truck by putting in a master switch and shutting off the power every week.If you want to do it just go to radio shack and get a resistor,somewheres it says how many olms you want$3-4.Not the best thing.Save your money and buy a cam
Thanks 4b316. I'll save my money. How much can you go with a cam before you have to do serious work like notch the pistons or something like that? A cam may not be to bad - after you get the throttle body, upper intake and right side plug wires out of the way. I had a 62 Ford Fairlane that I built a 289 HP for and we changed to cam - and a few other things - which was a bit of work. Thanks for your help.
Danny

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you are going to drive it on the street,probably a stage one cam from Racer Walsh will be a good selection.About $500 the time you get done

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If you are going to drive it on the street,probably a stage one cam from Racer Walsh will be a good selection.About $500 the time you get done
Who is a dealer for this cam and what are the specs - lift, duration, etc. and doe you have to change anything else?
Thanks,
Dannny

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Go to racer walsh or esslinger,s website.and look at their 4 cyl. selection.They both have a good spec page

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals