• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Perfection Clutch slave cylinder

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am getting ready to replace the slave cylinder in my 02 Ranger for the second time. I was going to just install an OEM slave but came across this Perfection Clutch slave that is described as being made of aluminum instead of plastic. That sounds like it would be more durable. Does anyone have any experience with these? Does any one know if they are truly aluminum and are they a good quality part overall?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I haven't used one but the OEM, or other slaves, don't "break", they can leak from seals, so not sure aluminum would help

What failed on the last two Slaves?

LUK clutch parts have never let me down over the years

Mike Tonon

I had a problem with mine on my 07, back around 09. Warranty covered it. It was fine for a while. After about 60,000 miles, had problems again. Everything seems fine, except for that damn slave cylinder, which should last 150,000 miles, no problem! So now what? At 80,000 miles, if I drop the transmission and transfer case and everything in the way, I might as well do an entire clutch. Even though it doesn’t need it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've had good luck with them so far.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
At 100K miles the original slave developed a strange vibration when letting out on the clutch. The internal slave part that rides on the transmission guide had worn and was loose causing it to oscillate under certain conditions. Now, with 242K miles on my Ranger, the second slave (a LUK) has a slow leak when it is cold. I have been just adding fluid occasionally over the last year but it is getting worse and I am afraid it will fail me at some point.

I think an aluminum one would have better resistance to wear than the plastic design. I am pretty sure the plastic ones are fiber filled, which trend to be more abrasive too. This could wear out the seal quicker. I just don't know about the quality of the Perfection Clutch slave so I decided to get some opinions here. I think it might be worth giving one a try. It seems that adsm thinks they are good.

Mike Tonon

Do you have a link to perfection slave cylinders for Rangers?

Mike Tonon

Thanks
Let me ask you this. Were you not using the clutch, much? We’re you driving a lot of highway miles, maybe? I’m wondering why mine has problems so soon. Most of my driving was around town and I was using the clutch often. I also used to Beat on this truck a little plowing snow. I also wonder if the chemical the state of Connecticut puts on the roads in the winter helped wear out the slave. The clutch is fine, no slipping. The slave was already changed once under warranty, at about 20,000 miles.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
My Ranger is a daily driver. It also is used on long trips, many times while towing. It also goes on long trips off-road where the clutch is used a lot. I don't know why yours has worn sooner but they should last longer. I think a clutch slave should last at least as long as the clutch.
Early in the warranty period my clutch master cylinder had to be replaced. The Ford dealer decided to replaced the slave cylinder also because it looked like it was beginning to leak a little.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I finally decided on installing another LuK slave. The Perfection Clutch slave had an external clip to lock it onto the hydraulic line. I saw a lot of complaints about it not working very well. I didn't want to have to deal with something that was different than the original connector. I would really like to try the aluminum Perfection Clutch slave. I don't understand why they felt they needed to change the connector design. The original design works well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals