• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pellet grill control board

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a "Smoke Hollow" brand pellet grill, apparently made by Masterbuilt and they don't make pellet grills anymore from the looks of it... I've had it for around 3 years now and it's been stored outside with just a cheap cloth BBQ cover which isn't perfect, I've had to take it apart twice and get expanded pellets out of the auger at this point... what a PITA... now I have an awning to go over it so it's safe and will get more airflow and less water flow :).

That said, I tried to fire it up on Friday night and let it run for a couple minutes until it smoked, so it worked fine... then Saturday morning the wife tried to start it up to do a tri tip and it didn't do jack... if I monkeyed with the switch (opened it up and cleaned the contacts) I could get it to work some sometimes... so then I bypassed the switch with some cut up pieces of .223 shell casing (hey, it was brass and handy...), that didn't work for more than a couple seconds so one of the chips or something on the control board is shot, the fuse was fine...

I found the Masterbuilt control board on their website for $60 which I might do, but I see the generic boards on Amazon and whatnot for Pit Boss or Traeger grill... some have ok reviews, some not, some very mixed... I had no complaints on the original one and it would actually fit the hole in the thing but I'm open to opinions...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just to keep this up to date I decided on a generic Traeger replacement board with two meat probes for $50 on Amazon, the fun part is Smoke Hollow in their making differences for trademark reasons mixed up the color coding on the wires... so the first time I hooked it up things were mixed up, and no instructions with the board other than in the product page on amazon... That and I had to make the panel hole 1/4" taller and drill two holes for the screws but no big deal... It works now!

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Glad it worked out for you, sometimes you can get a good deal on Amazon.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I never have such luck with generic/universal stuff lol congrats!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I ran it for about an hour over the weekend and it worked fine...

Not so much universal as meant to replace a Traeger controller, most of the other companies just copied them so it makes it some easier just changing silly things like wire colors...

I try not to support the big corporations but it's hard when everything in life is so dang expensive not to save a few bucks here and there... that and getting stuff within a couple days when it's something odd is nice, I guess I could have gone to one of the local BBQ stores and seen about a replacement controller...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals