• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Peformacne Cam....wht Shud I Buy?

my77cobra2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6 [5.0HO Carb swap in progress]
Transmission
Automatic
ok....i have 2.9L and i wnt to put cam in it tht wud make it sound more like mustang gt......[i kno a 6 cyl. will NEVER snd like a gt.....] my dad and may of the local engine shops tld me tht this ws possible......if it is....ima need the entire description, price, etc....i am eventually goin to put either a 5.0 H.O. or if possible ima put an engine frm the new GT500 in it....either or it will be bcked by a 6-speed.....[obviously im goin to do the homewrk on if it even is practical.....]

thanx,
kyle

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok....i have 2.9L and i wnt to put cam in it tht wud make it sound more like mustang gt......[i kno a 6 cyl. will NEVER snd like a gt.....] my dad and may of the local engine shops tld me tht this ws possible......if it is....ima need the entire description, price, etc....i am eventually goin to put either a 5.0 H.O. or if possible ima put an engine frm the new GT500 in it....either or it will be bcked by a 6-speed.....[obviously im goin to do the homewrk on if it even is practical.....]
Are you posting from a cell phone or something? :icon_twisted:

My cammed 2.9L from behind sounded "WRX-ish". Mean sounding, but it wasn't a V8 sound, that's for sure.

And you shouldn't cam for sound, but for the performance that you want in the situations your Ranger will be in. Best is to actually find a manufacturer willing to grind a cam for you, and talk with them and they will suggest some grinds depending on your engine, transmission, rear end ratio, etc. Camcraft makes some pretty mild cams that are computer friendly. You might be getting into territory where you will want to consider a MAF conversion with a custom grind. New custom push rods can be had at http://www.pushrods.net/.

Also you'll be getting into new valve springs and at that point, might as well take the heads in and have a valve job done, checked out, and make sure they're good to go. You're going to want to change lifters, and this requires removals of the heads. Even better, upgrade to world or another aftermarket head that's not prone to cracking.

Wish I would have just went with a V8 from the start and used the money I put into my 2.9L into that FWIW. You'll dump a bunch of money into this, only to rip your engine out and start all over. You'll never get what you had into it to begin with, and that's if anyone wants it.

Not sure what the GT500 has, but you may run into some issues with engine management, wiring, and emission systems.

Pete

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Six cylinders can NEVER sound like eight cylinders.. But if sound is what you want change the muffler and you'll probably be happy!
It is fairly obvious you know little about engines and mechanics in general.. READ a lot about what you think you want.. Educate yourself before spending money on your ride.
Big JIm

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Six cylinders can NEVER sound like eight cylinders.. But if sound is what you want change the muffler and you'll probably be happy!
It is fairly obvious you know little about engines and mechanics in general.. READ a lot about what you think you want.. Educate yourself before spending money on your ride.
Big JIm
+1

my77cobra2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i already hve a dual exhaust wit flowmstr muffler....but it still dnt snd the wy i wnt it to...like i said....i AM goin to put a V8 in it....HOWEVER...im only 18[cnt affrd it] nd im goin to UTI on the 26th :) .....so ALL of my $ is goin there..... :(

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sucks to think about it now, but you want to pay off as much on your college as you possibly can now. I graduated 6 years ago and finally almost have mine paid off. I really could have done with out that payment out living on my own. A extra 100-200 bucks a month really does make a difference when it comes down to paying the bills and trying to put money towards a project and other things. Good luck with school, just remember that you're paying for it and to make the best of it as you can. :)

Pete

my77cobra2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sucks to think about it now, but you want to pay off as much on your college as you possibly can now. I graduated 6 years ago and finally almost have mine paid off. I really could have done with out that payment out living on my own. A extra 100-200 bucks a month really does make a difference when it comes down to paying the bills and trying to put money towards a project and other things. Good luck with school, just remember that you're paying for it and to make the best of it as you can. :)

Pete
thanx man.....

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
i had true duals on my 2.9......2 and a half into flowmaster super 40's and 3 inch out. it was loud but sounded like a pissed off hornets nest when i was on the throttle.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wait until after your higher education before you build up a ride.

i thought i could build a bad-ass BII and go to college at the same time. 8 years later, i'm not done with either. BII is sitting in pieces, but college is almost over and 95% paid off.

just keep your rig running, educate yourself, graduate, and then build exactly what you want.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All of the above...AND... if you don't learn to spell you'll never be able to cash a check.
Big Jim

my77cobra2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All of the above...AND... if you don't learn to spell you'll never be able to cash a check.
Big Jim
srry its jus a habbit to type like ths....

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Big JIm

+2

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
srry its jus a habbit to type like ths....
Well Get out of the habit! Our language is a precious thing. Your habit is hard to read and makes you sound like a 2ed grader.
Big JIm:sad:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds to me like someone has been 'texting' too much...

I would save you money and drop in a 4.0 or a V8.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals