• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PCV valve question

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am planning to replace my PCV valve. My 4.0 SOHC has the heated PCV valve. The Motorcraft EV268 is the direct replacement but I plan to reuse the existing tubing that wraps around the PCV valve so I don't have to partially drain the coolant. That means I would just throw away the new tubing that comes with the new PCV valve. I have found another part number that looks like the same thing without the tubing to heat it. It is Motorcraft EV243. It looks like it has the same groove in it that the tube fits around. Yes, it is only a few bucks less than the one that comes with the tube, but I don't like spending money on something I am just going to throw away.

So the question is, does anyone know if the Motorcraft EV243 will fit my 4.0 SOHC valve cover and allow the tube to fit around it? All the websites I look at state it does not fit my vehicle, but I think that is because it does not have the heater tube. Is there another Motorcraft part number that comes without the tube and will work for me?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Motorcraft EV243 fits 4.0l SOHC valve cover and you can install the hot water tube on it

Be careful with these "twist lock" PCV Valves, the Valve cover part gets brittle and can break, so easy does it
Have to replace valve cover if it breaks or get creative

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ford#ev243 wOut 5/16"CoolantOxbow & Ford#ev268 With 5/16"CoolantOxbow,
are both the very same PCVValve wOut\With that useless CoolantOxbow;
both fit the 1/4Turn hole in the rear of the left ValveCover on the V6~4.0l~SOHC.
Yep, be gentle removing\installing the PCVValve as the plastic tabs in the ValveCover break easiliy.
Recommend deleting the Oxbow & the associated 5/16" Coolant Hoses+Tees;
this warming loop is a "Rube Goldberg" design that really does not work & is only a potential source of coolant leaks.
Especially considering your warm climate, UNLESS California inspections require it to stay in place?
If you keep the PCVCoolantLoop, recommend replacing leaky 5/8~5/16~5/8" plastic Tee with a Stainless barbed Tee (Amazon\Ebay) & stock hoses.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Thanks for the replies and confirmation. I am replacing the valve cover because the plastic tabs will not hold the PCV valve in place anymore. I did get creative and used a thick piece of semi-rigid foam between the PCV elbow the firewall to keep the PCV valve in place. That worked until I went on a long off-road trip. All the vibration moved the foam out of place. I then use silicone to bond the foam to the firewall and that has worked well. Now that I got the valve cover that was on back order for a long time, I can get it fixed properly.

I looked at the plastic tabs on the new valve cover. They are so small, I am not surprised they fail easily.

I don't know if CA requires the heated PCV valve but they do a thorough emissions inspection and I don't want to give them any reason to fail me.

I was having a difficult time figuring out where the 5/8~5/16~5/8 plastic Tee is. I followed the coolant line that connects to the metal loop for the PCV valve and I think I found the Tee. It appears to be on the right front side of the intake. Mine has not been leaky for the 264K miles I have put on it, but is probably due for a replacement. Thanks for letting me know about it. I replaced the rubber elbow that connects to it with a silicone one many years ago.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually the 5/8~5/16~5/8" plastic Tee I was refering to is near the FireWall
were the PCV Coolant Loop joins up with the Heater Coolant Loop;
it's a factory prefab molded Tee+Hose assembly that notoriously cracks+leaks & is an expensive Ford OEM part.
Can be easily replaced with a 5/8~5/16~5/8" barbed Stainless Tee, just have to order that online ahead of time,
& stock 5/8" + 5/16" Heater Hoses.
Think you're referring to the 5/8" Vacuum PCV Elbow on the right side of the IntakeManifold (on that PitchForkShaped PCVHeatExchanger)
that also notoriously cracks+leaks & generates P0171+P0174 TroubleCodes;
it can be replaced with a stock 5/8" HeaterHoseElbow that will last much longer than cheaper\thinner VacHose.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Okay, I think I have found the 5/8~5/16~5/8 Tee. Once you said it was on the heater hose, I just followed it. It looks like it is only replaceable with a complete hose assembly other than ordering the stainless steel Tee you referred to. I think I will order a SS Tee and keep it in the cab in case my original one fails at a inconvenient time.

I can see why it is expensive to replace, since it probably only comes with a complete hose assembly. Here is a photo of it so you can confirm it is the right one or not.
P1010063a.JPG

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, stock replacement requires all the hoses as one piece

However you can replace just the "T" or eliminate it with off the shelf "T" or coupler and hose clamps
There nothing different about the hoses, just regular heater hoses

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Stop skipping steps and get it done right the first time.
Yes, Motorcraft EV243 fits 4.0l SOHC valve cover and you can install the hot water tube on it

Be careful with these "twist lock" PCV Valves, the Valve cover part gets brittle and can break, so easy does it
Have to replace valve cover if it breaks or get creative
kinda side tracking a little here, but when you say replace the valve cover or get creative..... how creative are we talking here? easy creative or pain in the ass creative?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well it depends on your imagination, lol

The PCV Valve needs a reasonably good seal to valve cover so its sucking in Blow-by gases not air from above the valve cover, and it needs to be held in place while engine vibrates, so snug fit
Maybe use a grommet
You can use/make a "Y" type bracket, like the ones used to hold distributor or cam synchro down, and a self tapping screw into top of valve cover, and an O-ring to seal

And PCV Valves are PCV valves, they are all the same, well the ones that go into valve covers
All engines run the same vacuum levels, no difference between 4cyl and V10, so PCV valves pretty much all use the same weighted valve
So you can use a different PCV Valve if it makes it easier, but using original part will make it easier down the road to get a replacement

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals