• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pcm problem i think

Joey401

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I changed the fuel pump in my 2000 4.0 4x4 ford ranger and after that i keep poping a fuse that puts my trucks transmission into limp mode i can put a new fuse in but leas rhen a mile down the road it pops again and i have someone looking at it they are saying it is a power control module intermittent short to ground which i dont do work on my truck because i dont have the time any help would be reaply helpful at this time because if i cant find the problem soon im going to have to sell it and i really dont want to do that because i love this truck

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you didn't have any problems prior to changing the fuel pump I would start there. It may not be secured correctly and when you hit a bump it moves and a wire grounds out.

Good luck with the problem and let us know what you find out.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I guess anything is possible... but can't say I've ever heard of a PCM with an intermittent short popping a fuse.

To even begin to figure it out... you need some power distribution schematics and have a look for what is on that fuse. Being you just replaced the fuel pump at the same time this started to happen.... you need to retrace your repairs and have a look at all the things you fooled with.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
It's highly unlike a PCM to fluctuated between good and bad. As is the case with most electronic parts, they are either working or they are not. As stated, find the electrical schematics for that fuse and the fuel pump and start tracing wires. I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with changing out the fuel pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals