• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PC I am building....

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking to upgrade my current HP P4 computer until I found out that I couldn't get a new mother board to fit in the case. So instead of buying a new computer, I am building on. I think it will be a kick ass PC when it is done.

This will be my first time using an AMD processor. I usually was a die hard Intel person, but a friend turned me on to this processor I am using. It is factory at 2.60GHz, but can be safely overclocked to 3.40GHz. I will probably overclock it to about 3.20GHz just to be safe.

Specs:
- XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition Processor 2.60GHz
- EVGA GeForce 8500 GT Video Card 1GB RAM w/ SLI capability
- 2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
- Western Digital 500GB Hard Drive
- CD/DVD RW Drive
- 600W Power Supply
- Power Up 5511 Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case
- 2x 120mm case fans
- 1x 60CFM CPU fan

Case:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=TC3J-4032 P

Power Supply:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=ULT-LS600

Mother Board:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=P450-9120

Processor:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=CP1-AM2-5000B

Graphics Card:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3738465&CatId=2306

CPU Fan:
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=16&l2=65&l3=0&l4=0&model=2254&modelmenu=1

Case Fans:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=D15-1155

I am supposed to be getting the parts today. I will start building it this afternoon and will post up pictures from the build.

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
This will be my first time using an AMD processor.
Nice! I've used AMD for years :) IMO, Good processors.

Sucks it didn't fit, was it the dimensions of the board or the layout of the screws?

Reminds when when I went ATX and I had a HUGE AT tower years ago, instead of just getting an ATX case, I converted my old tower over. Used it from like '92 to early '07.

I've retro fitted a few machines that had odd power supplies into old cases, like HPs, e-machines, etc. Only sucky part is finding good drivers! :) I have a lot of fun splicing in the front LEDs/power, and re-implementing the extra features on the board..

Pete

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nice! I've used AMD for years :) IMO, Good processors.
I guess I can't say I have never used AMD; my fiance's last 2 laptops have been AMD's.

Sucks it didn't fit, was it the dimensions of the board or the layout of the screws?
Yes and Yes. The board was too big for the case and the screw layout was all wrong; not to mention that the new power supply wouldn't fit either.

This will allow me to use the good components of the old HP somewhere else instead of letting them set or be trashed. My current HP is still a great and super fast PC. It runs AutoCAD, Word, Excel, and other programs good; it wont do graphics good though.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
HPs suck. the 2 ive owned were dogs and the tiny, poorly ventilated cases trap in heat which kill drives. on top of that, their "one off" power supplies and MOBOs make them impossible to upgrade...or even find decently priced replacement parts.

just my experience with them.

im running a micro ATX board in my dell ATX case, it looks kind of funny with all that room around it...but it bolted right in and left me room for designing racks to hold my hard drives :icon_thumby:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just say no to XFX, PCChips, ECS, Biostar, and MSI motherboards. They are all absolute garbage, with PCChips, ECS and MSI by far the worst. I would recommend Gigabyte, Asus, or Intel (which won't work in this case.) I have had amazing luck with all three with only one or two failures out of probably 100+ hand built boxes that I've dealth with over the last decade.

Otherwise, looks like you've got a pretty killer box! I like the case, and I really think you'll love the graphics card.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have heard people say both ways about XFX mother boards. I will see, it has a 1 year warranty with it.

I fired it up this morning and started re-formatting my 500GB hard drive and installing XP Pro. It will be waiting for me to get home and install the drivers and start installing programs. Woo hoo!

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Abit makes nice boards too.
I have an old Athlon XP 2500, overclocked to 3.4 Ghz, running solid 4 years now on one.
I'm digging that Asus CPU cooler, it looks bad@$$.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I will have to grab some new pictures of it tonight. I don't really like the case, but it will do for now. I modified it to fit a 4th 80mm fan in the side. I also added a fan controller as well.

The Asus CPU cooler looks awesome installed.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well i dont know a bunch about computers but at my powder coating buisness www.ultrapowdercoat.com i've powdered a ton of computer cases......apparently case modders are going crazy. neon, strobes,chrome, the whole nine. Your comp looks sick but i might as well look at a space ship. im lovin it tho. mjones could you PM me i got a couple questions about comps i'd love ot hear the answers too:icon_cheers:

z3ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Do you play a lot of games? the Geforce 8500 seems kinda overkill if you your not playin Crysis every day

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The 8500 barely runs Microsoft Flight Simulator X without any problems. I am probably going to be going to a GeForce 9600 soon.

z3ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Wow. Sorry, i just though the 8500 was the latest and greatest, but then again, its been a while since i looked into video cards.

My desktop is stil running the mx400/450, lol

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the GeForce 9600 is one of the best, but it isn't the greatest.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Right now the Geforce 9800GTX or 9800GX2 are the last and best of the Geforce 9 series cards. nVidia's newer and better cards are the GTX 200 series.

I'm going all out and building my next system with AMD's new Phenom II Quad-Core processor, it's not that expensive. Best place for hardware: newegg.com.

I'm totally a computer guy :eek:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals