• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pauls 1998 ranger 4x4

Paul hall 7999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Need help I put a 1994 ranger 4.0 ohv motor in my 1998 ranger witch also had a 4.0 ohv in it I took the 94 Intake amd heads off and put all my 98 stuff on there and i noticed the 94 had no camshaft synchronizer in it so I took that out and out my 98 knee in it. Well it was to long so i cut about a quarter inch off and it fit. Well make a long story short it runs I've been driving it for awhile now and it doesnt not run right lean codes rich codes any help would b great

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

If you have lean AND rich codes then you probably reversed the upstream O2 sensor plug-ins, had a shop do that once when they replaced the clutch, lol

O2 plugs are universal so one size fits all

Look at/find the passenger side O2 wire and follow it up to where it plugs into the Trucks wiring harness
Should have these 4 wire colors
orange
grey/blue
blue/orange
red/white

If you see a red/black or yellow/blue then they are reversed

Yes, you can used the 1998 cam synchro on the 1994 engine, not sure what you "cut off" but you shouldn't have to do any cutting
The 1994 4.0l Rangers did use Cam synchros/sensors if sold in California, so should have just fit, these do need to be timed, just like a distributor needed to be timed

Paul hall 7999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

If you have lean AND rich codes then you probably reversed the upstream O2 sensor plug-ins, had a shop do that once when they replaced the clutch, lol

O2 plugs are universal so one size fits all

Look at/find the passenger side O2 wire and follow it up to where it plugs into the Trucks wiring harness
Should have these 4 wire colors
orange
grey/blue
blue/orange
red/white

If you see a red/black or yellow/blue then they are reversed

Yes, you can used the 1998 cam synchro on the 1994 engine, not sure what you "cut off" but you shouldn't have to do any cutting
The 1994 4.0l Rangers did use Cam synchros/sensors if sold in California, so should have just fit, these do need to be timed, just like a distributor needed to be timed
Well the 94 had the camshaft synchronizer but it was only a flat plate with the oil pump gear under it no sensor wires nothing and I'm in virgina and I did have to time it and it took me a lil bit cause I had never messed with the camshaft synchronizer before and what I cut off was about a 1/4" of the bottom of the camshaft synchronizer it was to long I held them both side by side I still have them.

Paul hall 7999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Now I did this swap like 2 years ago I dont drive the truck very much cause it only gets like 180 miles to a tank of gas but it's been screwd up to long and I love the truck and want to drive it more and the only reason I went the rout I did is because I didnt have the money for a new motor and a friend had the 94 and it was totalled and only had 50.000 miles on the motor. And I'm not sayin ur wrong but I've been threw this truck so many times I dought the o2 sensors r backwards but I will look into it thanks I'll check back with yall n a bit on my way home from work.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its called the oil pump drive not a synchronizer if there is no tower and vane

What are the exact codes?

Paul hall 7999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Its called the oil pump drive not a synchronizer if there is no tower and vane

What are the exact codes?
Yes ur right I had a brain fart I couldnt think I was typing so fast but yea the 94 only had the oil pump drive no synchronizer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals