• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PATS repair 1998

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just picked up a '98 V8 Explorer for really damn cheap but it did not come with keys. There is damage to the lock cylinder as well. The story was that it was stolen then the old man let it sit and lost the key. Not sure how they even got it started. Part of me thinks they stole it with the key and the dude I bought it from damaged the lock cylinder. Anyway I'd like to repair the system so I can get it started and assess the drivetrain for a potential donor for my '03 ranger.

Do I need to replace the PATS module, PCM and key? Or do I need the transceiver in the steering column as well? Or bite the bullet and pay a shop to program a new key? Not sure the best way to go about it without pouring money into it. Any help would be appreciated.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You'll need to swap out the lock cylinder to one with a working PATS key (you'll need two unique PATS keys). Once you've got that, you should be able to use Forscan to introduce those keys to the computer.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No on changing the PATS module because you would have to change the Computer as well, they are a "matched set"
But if you are swapping the power train into your Ranger you may want to have the PATS deleted from the Computer and if you want to use it with manual transmission have the auto software deleted as well
Local Speed Shops or Dyno-testing shops can do that, or will know someone local who can reprogram Ford PCMs

Is the cylinder is damaged, can you turn it on?

If so the flashing THEFT light can flash codes that will tell you if transceiver is bad
11 Transceiver [transponder coil] not connected, or there is no power to it.
12 Transceiver internal fault.
If not then you may want to get one at local wrecking yard just to have on hand

If you can't turn on the key then best and cheapest route(if you don't have a car trailer) will be to get a mobile locksmith out to the vehicle
Have him remove the cylinder(or use a new one) and re-pin it for your RANGER PATS Keys
I assume you have two PATS keys for your Ranger, locksmith can add them to Explorer PATS, so you don't have to buy new keys

So Ranger keys can be used on either vehicle for now, not the explorer doors of course

You can use Forscan software to add your Ranger keys to Explorer PATS, you also need to buy the cable to hook up laptop to vehicle
Forscan is a good software to have/use, like an OBD reader on steroids, lol

Last edited:

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks RonD. I will throw a battery in it this weekend and see what the theft light is doing. The previous owner said the theft light is on solid but I need to see for myself. Never thought to add my Ranger keys to the explorer as I didn't think they were compatible but, yes, I have 2 PATS keys for it. . '98 Expo v 03 Ranger. The cylinder is turn-able with a screw driver.

I think I will bite the bullet and get the stuff to use Forscan and try that route before I get the locksmith involved.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also, the ranger 4.0 is locked up. (stupid timing chains) so I can temporarily steal the lock cylinder out of it. Is it compatible?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, cylinders "should be" swappable, haven't read that they are not

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals