• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PATS Issue?

toadboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Guys, I think I'm beating a dead horse here? I have a 99 3.0 4x4 Auto standard cab Ranger that is used as a secondary farm/fishing vehicle. I had let it sit a bit too long and the battery drained. I charged the battery, and the truck refuses to start. No starter engagement what so ever. Theft light flashed for about 30 seconds after I put the key in the ignition. I'm hearing a relay under the dash clicking (similar to turn signal relay sound) after I attempt to start the truck? Sort of a dull tick tock? The theft light does not stay on. The dash lights up as usual upon turning the key, all other dash lights seem to be working normally? I tried disconnecting the battery for about an hour. I tried turning the ignition to run and letting the vehicle sit for 11 minutes in an attempt to let the PATs re-learn the key. I have 3 keys and all 3 do the same thing. Battery is hot; 13+ volts. I think its the PATs module, and I might have to go to the stealership for the correction? Not what I want to do, but if someone doesn't come up with a possible fix, I am going to have to drag it to the dealer.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If it were a PATS issue... the engine would still crank but get no fuel to run. It sounds more like you are having battery cable/connection issues. This very symptom has come up here before. I recommend you google voltage drop testing... then take that knowledge to the truck and see if you can isolate the resistance in the starter circuit. I have also found that sometime the starter brushes... after sitting to long... will corrode and not make good contact. With someone in the vehicle turning the key to the crank position... someone else gives the starter body a couple of firm raps with a hammer. That could be enough to make brush contact and the starter begins to work.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Theft light flashing like that is definitely a PATS issue. I'm not sure the troubleshooting process though. There's a receiver by the key that's supposed to pick up the signal from the key for the PATS module to confirm. The module then signals the computer that the checks have been completed and the computer allows the engine to run.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I thought the engine would crank... just not enable fuel unless the encoded key was recognized.

Perhaps i better have another look and refresh my memory.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I think the implementation varies a bit year to year. Some years it's a fuel cut only, others it won't even crank. Regardless, the flashing light is a dead giveaway.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I guess I read the flashing light as a one time event after a fresh battery was installed after sitting for an extended period.

So I should ask... does the theft light flash every time you attempt to start the vehicle?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Mine will do nothing if the pats system gets angry. It cuts the starter, fuel injectors, and spark.

Lets ask the million dollar question though.... are you sure the battery actually took a charge and still functions? Car batteries get damaged by being totally discharged...

toadboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info, and I have double checked the battery charge. There is only minimal amperage draw when the key is turned. I think I might leave the key in the on position and jump the solenoid to verify the starter still works? The theft light blinks every time attempt to start. But it stops blinking after a few seconds. Think I'm buggered and heading to the dealer...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals