• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PATS has disabled my 2001 Ranger 4x4 3.0

RonaldBlake

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you!
I bought a 2001 Ford Ranger from a friend and before I even put 30 miles on it the security system locked it out.

It is titled, registered and Insured in my name.

Starter does work/crank but PATS still has fuel pump or injectors disabled or something.

I only have one key and the key fob is broke so I went ahead and broke the pin preventing me from being able to turn the ignition switch and then tried several procedures I found online t turn off the theft mode but all of them were unsuccessfull.

I went ahead and bought a used immobilizer-transceiver-antenna or whatever you may prefer to call it off ebay that detects the transponder in the key and installed it but there was no change.

Do any of you know what to try next to disable the PATS Antitheft Mode?

Is there a relay in the engine compartment that could be bad and needs replacing?
Is there anything else that may need replacing?

I do have a second key but misplaced it after trying it as well prior to recently buying the used transceiver so have to find it but am currently down to one key and no working key fob to try some of the disable methods. The drivers door lock was swapped by a previous owner that the ignition key does not unlock so I can only unlock the passenger door with the ley as so can not try the using the key in the door method either as is required in one of the supposed ways to disable the theft mode.

I was completely disgusted and have just let it set up for half a year but now my van died and I have no transportation so need to figure this out.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/help you can provide.

Sincerely,
Ronald L. Blake
SFC USARR / Disabled

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
PATS would also disable the starter so something else is wrong. Insert the key and turn it to the run position, does the antitheft light flash rapidly? If so after a minute it will start flashing a code. The code will tell you whats wrong.

If it's not flashing, what makes you assume it's a PATS problem? As I said, PATS disables the starter so if it cranks it's likely not the problem. Can you pull any regular fault codes? Have you tried starting it with starting fluid to see if its a spark or fuel issue? Can you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you put the key to the run position? Have you simply checked the fuses? Have you checked the fuel pump safety cutoff switch?

There is no simple way to disable PATs. If there was it would be a pretty pointless security system lol. A mobile locksmith might be able to program 2 new keys to the system but you've yet to determine the actual problem so that would be jumping the gun. You can also program keys if you have a windows laptop by using Forscan but again, jumping the gun.

Last edited:

RonaldBlake

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The theft light is still blinking.

No, I have not tried the other things you mentioned but will test for spark with a spark tester and try to figure out where and how to listen for the fuel pump if I can do that by myself.

Thank you for these suggestions to check!

RonaldBlake

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
PATS would also disable the starter so something else is wrong. Insert the key and turn it to the run position, does the antitheft light flash rapidly? If so after a minute it will start flashing a code. The code will tell you whats wrong.

If it's not flashing, what makes you assume it's a PATS problem? As I said, PATS disables the starter so if it cranks it's likely not the problem. Can you pull any regular fault codes? Have you tried starting it with starting fluid to see if its a spark or fuel issue? Can you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you put the key to the run position? Have you simply checked the fuses? Have you checked the fuel pump safety cutoff switch?

There is no simple way to disable PATs. If there was it would be pretty pointless lol. A mobile locksmith might be able to program 2 new keys to the system but you've yet to determine the actual problem so that would be jumping the gun.
Yes I have visually inspected all of the fuses but did not test them with a ohm meter though.

This truck has a rebuilt title so I am not positive that the starter is supposed to be disabled due to the possibility of mis matched parts used when some previously revuilt the truck but the theft system is actively flashing and the starter does crank.

from what I gather on some earlier 98 99 models that Ford did not have the grounding method installed to disable the starter so I am guessing that this vehicle being a rebuilt vehicle may not have those components to disable the starter as well!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When the light is flashing wait a minute and it will start blinking in a sequence. That sequence is a code, get that code. Aka 6 blinks, pause, 4 blinks, long pause. Would be code 64...

RonaldBlake

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
When the light is flashing wait a minute and it will start blinking in a sequence. That sequence is a code, get that code. Aka 6 blinks, pause, 4 blinks, long pause. Would be code 64...
Okay, will try to get that figured out sometime tomorrow and post back with it.

So turn the key to the run position and wait for it to start flashing in sequences then?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Okay, will try to get that figured out sometime tomorrow and post back with it.

So turn the key to the run position and wait for it to start flashing in sequences then?
Yup. Takes a minute to start doing its "morse code" thing so just wait and then count the blinks.

RonaldBlake

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yup. Takes a minute to start doing its "morse code" thing so just wait and then count the blinks.
Thank you so much and I will get a charger on it tomorrow and check for and note the sequence.

RonaldBlake

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Hi Dirtman.

Charged my battery and performed the procedure you suggested.

When turn the ignition to the on/run position where the dash lights light up, it never flashed the theft light while in that position.

I waited about 5 minutes but it did not start flashing at all.

Upon turning the switch back off the theft light then blinks in a steady pattern of one blink every second.

While under the hood I noticed that when the battery is connected that I am hearing a fan noise of some sort coming from where the hydraulic brake lines are controlled which I assume to be the anti-lock brake system controller but using a piece of water hose and listening for it I could not say for sure it was that or if there is some other component under or attached to it that was making the noise. Now I know why my battery kept dying while it was sitting up after the theft system disabled it.

Could that somehow be some indication of how/why the anti-theft PATS System is disabling it and causing the theft light to flash?

I have not checked anything else yet though as I have a circulation issue in my left leg and had to get back off of it to elevate it!

Last edited:

RonaldBlake

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Sorry for the delay since my my two replies following this reply by you.

My health took a down turn.
I am on the mend and hopefully test for spark and fuel before too long being I am on the mend!

Thanks again for your words of advice!

JodyTanner93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Dirtman.

Charged my battery and performed the procedure you suggested.

When turn the ignition to the on/run position where the dash lights light up, it never flashed the theft light while in that position.

I waited about 5 minutes but it did not start flashing at all.

Upon turning the switch back off the theft light then blinks in a steady pattern of one blink every second.

While under the hood I noticed that when the battery is connected that I am hearing a fan noise of some sort coming from where the hydraulic brake lines are controlled which I assume to be the anti-lock brake system controller but using a piece of water hose and listening for it I could not say for sure it was that or if there is some other component under or attached to it that was making the noise. Now I know why my battery kept dying while it was sitting up after the theft system disabled it.

Could that somehow be some indication of how/why the anti-theft PATS System is disabling it and causing the theft light to flash?

I have not checked anything else yet though as I have a circulation issue in my left leg and had to get back off of it to elevate it!
The theft light always blinks steadily while the truck is off. That just indicates the system is functioning. I think that’s in the manual if you look for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals