• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pats changability

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
need some pats help. got a buddy who is slowly killing his 5 spd and wants to convert over to a auto. hes got a 99 ranger 3.0 and i have a complete 00 auto 3.0 ranger. to see if it would work we took the computer and swapped the ignition from the 00 into the 99 and its a no go. theft light flashes rapidly. any one have an idea why it wont work? some one said we might have to swap the dash? this truck had power everything and keyless entry. his 99 does not. just crank windows and he installed factory cruise.

on my 99 ranger 4.0 i converted from an auto to a manual. i drove it to dealer ship with the 5spd swap done on a auto computer and i swapped the computer and had my key programmed to the new one.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1999-2000 Ranger has a Type B PATS system which should have a separate PATS module above the glove box by the passenger air bag.

The PCM and this module are "married", so if you swap both and the key cylinder you should be fine.

Good thread here with pictures: http://www.ranger-forums.com/8-cylinder-tech-34/photo-log-pats-installation-48794/

The loop around the key switch doesn't need to be changed, it is just a reader

You can just swap the PCM but you need a scan tool with Parameter Reset function and I think an active subscription to Ford Module Programming (FMP) service, so probably not worth it for a one time swap.
PCM as far as I know needs to be in the vehicle to "marry" it to new module, i.e. it can't be taken in to get reprogrammed on it's own

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
there is a module behind the passenger side airbag for the pats

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So you swapped computers, didn't tell any other part of the security system about it, and didn't tell the swapped computer that the password changed, and you are surprised that the system isn't working?

You need to have a parameter reset done so all the modules in the system know to work together and then have the keys programmed.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
i was having a "blonde" moment..... it made sense after i thought about it.. what good does swapping a key and computer with no "reader" do... NOTHING... i should be able to check it out tomorrow.

now i do have another question concerning this on my vehicle. specs are 99 ranger 4.0 power and keyless entry . i bought a parts truck which is a 2001 with power and keyless basicaly identical to my 99 but sohc.. i am eventually going to install the SOHC motor in place of the OHV. now i noticed the pats/keyless module i took out of the 2000 3.0 liter for my buddy looks totally different than the 01. i havent compared mine yet. as far as 01 parts. i have the key, computer, engine, engine harness, and pats module.. ive read up on the parts systems a bit and 01 is a system E and 99 is a B. what is the difference between the two? am i in for more than i bargain for on this swap?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Found this on a PCM Programming site

There are five types of PATS implementations from Ford (A, B, C, D, E).
PATS initialization is generally performed after programming.
The A or D version of PATS does not store the key information in the PCM, therefore NO PATS KEY RELEARN IS REQUIRED after programming.
The B or C versions of PATS store the key information within the PCM and MUST be transferred to the new PCM, or relearned on the vehicle after the new PCM is installed.
The E version of PATS also stores the key information within the PCM, but CANNOT be transferred to the new PCM.
This type MUST be relearned on the vehicle after the new PCM is installed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals