• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parts list to restore a TTB front end?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That sounds like radius arm bushings, pivot bushings (somehow I've never changed mine, they're getting bad but not shot yet...), possibly balljoints and likely one or two tie rod ends...

"loose dirt" enough to not be considered a hard surface would be a freshly worked farm field unless it's like 90% sand, it doesn't take much to bind up in 4x4...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
That sounds like radius arm bushings, pivot bushings (somehow I've never changed mine, they're getting bad but not shot yet...), possibly balljoints and likely one or two tie rod ends...

"loose dirt" enough to not be considered a hard surface would be a freshly worked farm field unless it's like 90% sand, it doesn't take much to bind up in 4x4...
Yep, probably all those. It loose enough that tires spin pretty easy. So then does grinding away some material help with the binding? Or is it normal and ok to live with?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will have u joint phasing no matter what.

They are not really intended to operate at the angles a front axle can subject them to.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
"Front end sounds (and feels) like a car accident in a metal shop when hitting bumps, and I have a good 45 degrees of steering wheel slop each direction."

Sounds like my 73 TIB van before replacing the king pins

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Steering box might need adjusted too for the steering slop. I was dealing with that with the F-150. Finally got smart and opened the hood and watched the steering shaft and the pitman arm. You could move the wheel a good bit either direction before the pitman twitched, so I loosened the lock nut on the top of the box and adjusted until there was about zero play, moving the wheel moved the pitman and locked it down.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Steering box might need adjusted too for the steering slop. I was dealing with that with the F-150. Finally got smart and opened the hood and watched the steering shaft and the pitman arm. You could move the wheel a good bit either direction before the pitman twitched, so I loosened the lock nut on the top of the box and adjusted until there was about zero play, moving the wheel moved the pitman and locked it down.
I read about that and some say it is not a proper fix and will cause the steering to bind at the ends of the turns. It might help, but she needs a lot of things...gone neglected too long...

I would rather just replace stuff if possible, but have noticed that new parts are mostly junk. I would have to hunt down quality or oem parts, and then hope its not a dud.

Nowadays I keep the old parts for awhile (if re-usable)....just in case.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
You will have u joint phasing no matter what.

They are not really intended to operate at the angles a front axle can subject them to.
So you are saying its falls into the engineering limits/ live with it category?

As long as its not hurting the truck, I can live with a little binding in 4 low....lets me know its working lol.

Dang TTB's lol.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I read about that and some say it is not a proper fix and will cause the steering to bind at the ends of the turns. It might help, but she needs a lot of things...gone neglected too long...

I would rather just replace stuff if possible, but have noticed that new parts are mostly junk. I would have to hunt down quality or oem parts, and then hope its not a dud.

Nowadays I keep the old parts for awhile (if re-usable)....just in case.
Well, the problem is that you can overtighten it and you can damage the steering box by over tightening. My solution was to have someone wiggle the wheel while I got it tightened up and I stopped when movement of the shaft moved the pitman arm. Felt a little off for a few days and then settled in. I was worried because that’s the second time I’ve tweaked it. So far so good and I think that’s the way to make sure you don’t get it too tight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals