• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parts interchange? bumpers, beds, etc.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am planning to do some work to my '99 Ranger in the (hopefully) not too distant future. Part of it is going to be some styling changes and paint work. Kind of need to have some of those styling changed done before paint. I know that the entire front end can be updated by swapping out the header panel, hood, grill headlights, and bumper. I don;t plan to go that far though, and am interested in what parts can be matched up.

I intend to keep a little hint of the '99 in the grill and headlights. I'm not against swapping to newer headlights, but I kind of like the 99 headlight style (with clear lenses) better. Will stick with the '99 style grill, but probably change to painted if my bumper plans will work out. Again I'm not against updating to the 2001-2003 style grill and headlights, but I think I like the 99 style better.

I know that the 1998-2003 hoods will interchange. I have a 2001-2003 power dome hood that I intend to swap in place of the factory aluminum hood. I've seen enough pictures to know that it will match up with the 1999 style grill just fine.

Bumpers. For my plans with this truck I'm really liking the 2005-2007 STX bumper. I'm sure it will bolt on, but will this fit up to the 99 style grill and headlights properly? I know that on the full size trucks they made the grill taller and the bumper shape changed. I've never seen a 1998-2003 Ranger beside a 2004+ Ranger in person to compare.

Bed. Once again I'm thinking about the STX styling here. I've always liked the Mazda B-series bed, am I correct in thinking that the STX uses the Mazda bed sides? It would probably be easier to find a Mazda bed near me than a STX bed.

Is the inside of the bed dimensions the same between my existing long bed and the STX or B-series bed? I have a low profile Bakflip G2 bed cover for my short bed styleside, and I'll keep the regular bed if it won't fit the others.

Between the of beds, will the tailgate and taillights interchange or do I need to get a those to match the bed? I know they don't interchange between styleside and flareside. I'm just asking about between styleside, STX and B-series.

That's all I can think of for the moment, but there may be more.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@JoshT You seem to be correct on a lot. You might want to check rear tail lights. I know the STX bed is very similar to the Mazda bed, but the Tail light area is where there may be differences.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You seem to be correct... a lot.
Tell me something I didn't know. :icon_twisted:

Remembered to check out RockAuto for part interchange. Looks like STX and standard beds are different. Haven't had any success with interchanges between the Mazda and STX though. They are visually different, since the Mazdas have an amber turn signal lens and the Rangers are all red. Unfortunately that doesn't tell me if they will physically bolt in place of each other. I know wiring may be different, but I can handle modifying that if they will bolt into the bed.

Hoping someone will chime in that has run the later bumper with the early grill and headlights.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Tell me something I didn't know. :icon_twisted:

Remembered to check out RockAuto for part interchange. Looks like STX and standard beds are different. Haven't had any success with interchanges between the Mazda and STX though. They are visually different, since the Mazdas have an amber turn signal lens and the Rangers are all red. Unfortunately that doesn't tell me if they will physically bolt in place of each other. I know wiring may be different, but I can handle modifying that if they will bolt into the bed.

Hoping someone will chime in that has run the later bumper with the early grill and headlights.
This guy did it. Put a Mazda bed on his Ranger. He keeps calling it "Mazda/STX", as if they're one and the same.

1670264435931.png

notice the tail lights in tis one.
1670264507028.png

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know the bed will bolt onto the frame. The question concerning the bed were if (a) my styleside, flush mount, tonneau cover will fit; (b) if the STX and B-series taillights will interchange; and (c) if the tailgates interchange between the the styleside, STX and B-series?

Still unsure about the taillights and tonneau, but that appears to be a thunderbolt tailgate spoiler so I'd guess that the tailgates interchange.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well... the more I look at and think about it the less sure I am about the STX/Mazda bed. I do not want a flareside (stepside) bed. I do like the overall shape of the STX/Mazda bed. That said, I've noticed that those beds have an slightly different shape or body line around the wheel arches. It matches the Mazda front fenders great since they have the same body line, but the Ranger fenders don't share that line. Since I noticed the difference my eyes are drawn straight to it and it bothers me.

While I may be second guessing the idea of the STX bed, I'm becoming more and more confident that I want an STX front bumper. I'm now also certain that it will fit. The problem is finding the parts. I've been searching and have not been able to locate new parts for the STX bumper. I can find the brackets and I think the metal upper bumper is available, but I can't find the lower valance piece. The used ones within driving distance aren't in good enough shape to buy.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My daughter has B4000 (December calendar girl/truck) - I can assure you the tail lights are unique - I had to order the specific ones for Mazda.

The tailgate is same, so I think most tonneaus would fit - we had the one from my '98 on her's but she didn't like the red cover on her gold truck.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Well... the more I look at and think about it the less sure I am about the STX/Mazda bed. I do not want a flareside (stepside) bed. I do like the overall shape of the STX/Mazda bed. That said, I've noticed that those beds have an slightly different shape or body line around the wheel arches. It matches the Mazda front fenders great since they have the same body line, but the Ranger fenders don't share that line. Since I noticed the difference my eyes are drawn straight to it and it bothers me.

While I may be second guessing the idea of the STX bed, I'm becoming more and more confident that I want an STX front bumper. I'm now also certain that it will fit. The problem is finding the parts. I've been searching and have not been able to locate new parts for the STX bumper. I can find the brackets and I think the metal upper bumper is available, but I can't find the lower valance piece. The used ones within driving distance aren't in good enough shape to buy.
I've noticed that body line too. I wasn't sure if the Ford STX bed had that or not. It was one of the minor differences I was referring to.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
This seems to answer That question. Real STX, has the same body line.
1670442936175.png

BUT maybe some "Edge" style fender flares would cover that up. ???

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep, STX bed and Mazda bed are exactly the same. It's a minor difference, but its one that would bother me.

Fender flares would cover that up, but I'm also trying to get rid of fender flares. My 99 has had them since new, and I never really like them.

I'm starting with dropping the truck to the level I want it, from there I'll see how the rest of the parts are going to work out.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Most Mazda's have flares, too. Looking at some pics on the internet, I bet the front fender would swap over too, without doing a complete Nose swap. The body line, around the headlight area, right where it come down behind the blinker, looks exactly the same.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you look at my daughter's truck - you will see front bumper goes straight across - no dip like Ranger.

I don't know if you could easily cobble together the Mazda front fender with lights/grill/bumper/air dam of STX (with enough body working skill anything is possible).

Her Mazda definitely has different flares than Rangers do.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Like the Mazda bed, don't care for the front fenders. It would actually take a full nose swap, something about a difference in marker light shapes. I prefer the Ranger front ends.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals